- Full Description
You know that Ubuntu software costs nothing. Now you want the PC system that costs as little as possible and runs Ubuntu and OS applications without complaints and calls to tech support.
So you spent your hardearned dollars on the hardware only, and have your own optimized Ubuntu PC. This is the book that will show you how to get what you need without wreaking havoc on your finances. Put together the parts to make a great work computer for little cost.
Packed with the practical, handson guidance and technical knowhow that youve come to expect from Apress, Ubuntu on a Dime takes you on a tour of the very best lowcost hardware, while only using zerocost software in each of the many categories that matter to the typical PC user.
Youll learn how to find the best and cheapest hardware, and how to put it together to make a working PC. Learn to edit photos on the Internet without having to install any software at all. Find out where to get a free office suite for word processing and spreadsheet work. Whatever your need, James Kelly, bestselling technology author, guides you through the exciting and often confusing world of zerocost computing.
- Takes you stepbystep through a PC build
- Tells you what you need to install to have a fantastic work computer without spending a dime
- Saves you money by showing you how to meet your computing needs
- Saves you time by pointing you directly to the best free software
- Saves you work by illustrating the most commonly performed tasks with each zerocost software
- Gives you choices and the ability to make your own decisions for your own needs and requirements
Before you go buy that $900 dollar computer and that $400 office suiteor worse, before you borrow it from workstop! Let this inexpensive book show you how to save hundreds of dollars in expensive software, and never depend on the big PC providers and their tech support again. Learn all about cheap, fast hardware, find out about the free tools that the digerati use to make their lives better, and stop paying out the nose. Don't spend a dime!
What youll learn
- Source, buy, and put together the best hardware to make a cheap PC optimized for Ubuntu Linux.
- Find and install the best zerocost software available.
- Learn about software as a service and take advantage of photo editing, calendaring, e-mail, and other functionality delivered at no cost via the Web.
- Harness the power of OpenOffice and Google Apps for your word processing, spreadsheet, presentation needs.
- Communicate with your friends through zerocost voice calls, e-mail, and instantmessaging.
- Establish a presence on the Web through blogs and social networking sites such as Facebook.
- Work with timeproven, bulletproof standard patterns that have been tested and debugged in highvolume production.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- The Hardware
- The Ubuntu Operating System
- Free Software Defined
- E-mail Revolution
- Word Processing with Writer
- Spreadsheets with Calc
- Presentations with Impress
- Photo Management with Picasa
- Web Browsing with Firefox
- Google E-mail and Calendar
- Google Documents
- More Apps to Consider
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know by emailing to email@example.com . You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed. No errata are currently published