- Full Description
The Game Makers Companion is the long-awaited sequel to The Game Makers Apprentice. This book picks up where the last book left off, advancing your game development journey with some seriously impressive gaming projects. This time youll learn how to make professional-quality platform games with solid collision detection and slick control mechanisms and youll get acquainted with a long-lost icon of platform gaming history on the way.
Youll go on to discover techniques to add depth and believability to the characters and stories in your games, including The Monomyth, cut scene storyboarding, and character archetypes. This culminates in the creation of an original atmospheric platform-adventure which will take your GML programming skills to new heights. Theres even a handy reference section at the back of the book which will be invaluable for adding common features to your own games.
With contributions from four games industry professionals and a highly respected member of the Game Maker community, The Game Makers Companion is another labor of love that will give you even more hours of enjoyment than the original. If you already own Game Maker, then you really must own this book as well.
What youll learn
- Learn the fundamentals of how to create platform games with natures first platform game character: Fishpod.
- Discover how to recreate the classic 90s platform game Zool (Ninja of the Nth Dimension) entirely using drag-and-drop programming.
- Learn how to extend and improve upon the drag-and-drop functionality of Game Maker using GML scripts.
- Follow the design of the atmospheric platform-adventure game Shadows on Deck from original concept to a completed vertical slice of gameplay.
- See how professional designers create engaging storylines with believable characters.
- Learn how to modify the Shadows on Deck artwork to include in your own games.
- Experience a practical journey into game development which has been unparalleled since The Game Makers Apprentice.
- Gain access to professional game resources from Shadows on Deck which you are free to use in your own Game Maker games.
Who this book is for
This book is for The Game Makers Apprentice readers, along with other game developers in general.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Greetings, Game Maker
- Platform Beginnings: An Idea with Legs
- Zool: Taking It to the Nth Dimension
- Empowerment: Sliding Ninjas
- Krools Forces: Sweetening the Challenge
- Fighting Talk: The Empower Strikes Back
- Game Design: Shadows on Deck
- Storytelling in Theory
- Storytelling Applied
- Of Mice and Pen: Pirate Art
- GML: From Ninja to Pirate
- Rogues Rendezvous: Vertically Sliced
- The Story Begins
- Feature Reference
- Rogues Rendezvous: Dialogue
- Source Code/Downloads
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org . You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed.On page 64:In the fourth line of the paragraph labeled '3.', MAX_SPEED should be MAX_HSPEED