- Full Description
Foundation Version Control for Web Developers explains how version control works, what you can do with it and how. Using a friendly and accessible tone, you will learn how to use the three leading version control systemsSubversion, Git and Mercurialon multiple operating systems. The history and integral concepts of version control are covered so that you will gain a thorough understanding of the subject, and why it should be used to manage all changes in web development projects.
This book covers the valuable knowledge and transferable skills that will enable you use one of the three leading systems as well as easily switch to new systems that will arise in the workplace. Topics covered include:
- How to choose the correct software for your needs.
- Creating and working with repositories.
- Understanding trunks, branches, hooks, conflicts and merging.
- Setting up respository servers and integrating with Apache.
- Using Terminal, and understanding alternatives.
Foundation Version Control for Web Developers is a concise beginners course for designer and developer alike. Even if you have no prior knowledge of version control, this book will provide you with the knowledge to fully manage projects from start to finish, ensuring your projects are as seamless and successful as you need them to be.
What youll learn
- The benefits of having more version control in your life
- The basics of managing your work with version control
- How to choose the correct software for your needs
- Creating and working with repositories
- Understanding trunks, branches, hooks, conflicts and merging
- Setting up servers such as Apache
- Using Terminal, and understanding alternatives
- Advanced techniques for those who want to create and manage their own repositories
Who this book is for
Foundation Version Control for Web Developers is aimed at developers and designers who have little or no experience with version controlthose who have experience coding and those who are just getting started. The reader may be also a junior developer, just starting out, who hasnt looked into any kind of versioning system before. Although the book is primarily aimed at those with little knowledge of managing files using this method, it will still be beneficial to any developer.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Are you set up? Creating a basic development environment
- In the beginning there were just source files
- Meet the current players in the game: SVN, Git and Mercurial
- The benefits of version control
- I don't like Terminal, which programs can I use?
- You mean I can version control everything?!
- What can make my life easier?
- I have a conflict, what can I do?
- I'm feeling brave, can I do this with Terminal?
- How to create a server
- I don't have a server, which other options do I have?
- Why branching is great
- Hooks, and why they can be useful
- Upgrading from CVS and converting repositories
Please Login to submit errata.No errata are currently published