- Full Description
Thinking about divorce? Already in the process of divorce? You need this book. Divorce is complex, and complications are not what you need when you are facing its emotional and financial pressures.
In It's Splitsville: Surviving Your Divorce, veteran divorce attorney James J. Gross breaks down the divorce process for nonlawyers in easy-to-understand steps. He explains the legal system in plain and simple language, and he describes the process of obtaining a fair separation agreement and navigating family law and the legal system. Just as important, it explains the emotional hazards of divorce and how to withstand the myriad pressures you will face. It's Splitsville: Surviving Your Divorce:
- Explains divorce laws in easy-to-understand words.
- Guides you through the steps for obtaining a separation agreement.
- Provides a friendly users manual for divorce court.
- Helps you and your spouse decide whats best for the children.
- Shows you how to protect your assets to the legal extent possible.
- Explains when and how to play hardball.
What youll learn
- If you're buying this book, you're probably beyond stay vs. go. Go!
- Gain control of the emotional hazards of divorce
- Take the first steps toward separation and divorce
- When to handle the divorce yourself, and when to get a lawyer
- Agree on a parenting plan for the children
- Understand the laws about alimony, child support, the house, pensions, and other property
- Explains how to come up with fair agreements that enable you to avoid court
- How to navigate the legal system and divorce court
Who this book is for
Surviving Your Divorce: A Legal Guide is for anyone in the process of separation or divorce, and those thinking about it.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Things to Do Now
- Research and Documents
- Can You Do It Yourself?
- Finding a Lawyer
- First Meeting with Lawyer and Beyond
- Custody in General
- Physical Custody
- Child Support
- Property and Debt
- The House: A Play in Three Acts
- Pensions, Retirement Plans, Deferred Pay, and Social Security
- Business Investments
- Bank Accounts, Stock and Other Liquid Assets
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Separation Agreements
- Different Ways to Get a Separation Agreement
- Tactics and Strategies for Negotiating Your Own Separation Agreement
- Trial Procedure
- Same-Sex Marriage and Divorce
- Sample Forms
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know by emailing to email@example.com . You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed. No errata are currently published