- Full Description
When you create an app, a website, or a game, how do you get users, and perhaps more importantly, how do you keep them? Irresistible Apps explains exactly how to do this using a library of 27 motivational design patterns and real-world examples of how they work.
As a developers, you need to retain users in the new economy of advertisements, subscriptions, and in-app purchases, but you may be difficult to understand exactly how to do this.
For example, what is so appealing about Angry Birds? Why do people get addicted to games like World of Warcraft? What makes Amazon users keep buying from Amazon? Why do so many people love Khan Academy? Why do people care about Reddit karma?
The answers are found in Gameful patterns, Social patterns, Interface patterns, and Information patterns. Not only will you learn about these patterns, you'll also learn why they work using psychological theories of intrinsic motivation, behavioral psychology, and behavioral economics. Using this knowledge, good and bad implementations of the patterns are shown so practitioners can use the patterns effectively and avoid pitfalls along the way.
What youll learn
- How to use motivational design patterns to create meaningful experiences for users
- How to write motivational user stories
- The psychology of your users
- Techniques for improving your software in ways your users will notice
- Examples of the patterns in use, both well-implemented and poorly implemented
- How to analyze software for motivational effectiveness using case studies and the pattern library
Who this book is for
This book is for software designers and developers working on mobile and web apps, especially those using retention-based payment models. It's also for academics and students working on Human-Computer Interface and Software Engineering.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Motivational Design
- Psychology of Motivation
- Understanding Patterns
- Gameful Patterns
- Social Patterns
- Interface Patterns
- Information Patterns
- Understanding Motivational Dark Patterns
- Temporal Dark Patterns
- Monetary Dark Patterns
- Social Capital Dark Patterns
- Patterns as Analysis
- Patterns as Design Tools
- The End Is the Beginning
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know about it. You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed.No errata are currently published