- Full Description
Given the opportunity to describe Apple as a company in just a word or two, most would respond with adjectives like: Innovative. Design-conscious. Iconic. Some would probably even say: Secretive. But here's another: Soulful. Yes, Apple has a soul, and it is not alone in that respect. A select few organizations can similarly be said to exhibit similar qualities of soul that inspire passion in their employees and set them on the path to high levels of sustained organizational performance. But, given that most organizations are plagued by low levels of employee engagement and lackluster organizational performance, how do high-performing organizations do it? How do they ignite and sustain employee engagement and boost individual and overall organizational productivity? That is exactly the question that organizational expert David B. Zenoff sets out to answer in The Soul of the Organization.Based on the author's extensive experience consulting to and observing some of the best-known organizations in the world, The Soul of the Organization (www.souloftheorganization.com) journeys into eleven high-performing organizations operating in both the for-profit and not-for-profit worlds to determine the underlying elements of soul that foster strong employee engagement at all levels. What Zenoff finds in his inquiry is that organizations as different as home goods retailer Williams-Sonoma and not-for-profit group Larkin Street Youth Services all share in common five key elements of soul that, taken together, are powerful forces for fostering employee engagement, satisfaction, and meaning. And he doesn't stop once he has identified the five core elements of an organization's soul. Instead, he goes on to offer both a conceptual framework and a practical primer on how to leverage these key ingredients to create, sustain, and nourish a soul in your organization.Organizations of all stripes and in all industries and domains have great difficulty motivating their workforces to demonstrate a strong commitment to giving their all in the workplace. As a result, these organizations' overall productivity and growth are compromised, and their employees cannot find meaning or satisfaction in their work. If your organization struggles with sub-par employee loyalty, commitment, and drive, you will find the guidance you need in The Soul of the Organization, a guide to infusing into your workplace that "special something" that engages employees, drives their productivity, and taps into their collective well of potential so that your organization can make its mark on the world.
What youll learn
- The five essential ingredients that contribute so importantly to strong emotional and intellectual bonds between organizations with soul and their employees.
- How deep organizational connections between organizations with soul and their employees drive overall high performance and employee satisfaction.
- How organizations as different as Barclays Global Investors and the Sisters of Mercy manifest the five essential ingredients of soul in their workplaces.
- The best practices of organizations that have sustained and nourished their souls over many years, despite experiencing leadership transitions and organizational adaptations to changing times.
- The many potential threats to the health of an organization's soul, as well as the various remedies that exemplary organizations have found to protect and preserve their souls.
Who this book is for
The Soul of the Organization is intended for the thousands of leaders, managers, human resources specialists, and employees of both for-profit and not-for-profit organizations who want to know what they can do to turn their organizations into high-performing and satisfying workplaces. The book will also appeal to the vast number of prospective employees who wish to find employment with organizations that offer sustained opportunities for work satisfaction, meaning, and pride.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- What Is the Soul of an Organization?
- Organizations with Soul: Not-for-Profits
- Organizations with Soul: For-Profits
- Common Traits and the Power of Organizations' Souls
- Why Organizations' Souls Can Endure for Decades
- What Can Challenge, Weaken, or Destroy Organizations' Souls
- Finding, Reviving, and Recreating Lost Souls
- Young Organizations' Souls
- Hope for Organizations' Souls
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know by emailing to email@example.com . You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed. No errata are currently published