- Full Description
"Delaney's excellent book truly is the definitive guide. It easily and thoroughly explains everything you need to know." Steve Strauss, USA Today
"Exporting: The Definitive Guide to Selling Abroad Profitably is generously sprinkled with Notes and Tips that deliver concise, insightful bursts of advice and counsel. These suggestions alone are worth the price of the book. From planning to execution, Laurel Delaney is like a trusted guide—encouraging one forward, pointing out potential pitfalls, and helping navigate the way through the exciting and challenging world of exporting." John N. Popoli, President and CEO, Lake Forest Graduate School of Management
"I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to export. The real world, nuts and bolts kind of advice and information it contains will save you money and time— and make you a more effective exporter." Steve King and Carolyn Ockels, Small Business Labs
"Exporting: The Definitive Guide to Selling Abroad Profitably is an invaluable guide to navigating the often-challenging waters of exporting." Rieva Lesonsky, SmallBizDaily
"Exporting: The Definitive Guide to Selling Abroad Profitably is the 'how to' manual on how to grow USA factories jobs. Step by step and easy to read." Drew Greenblatt, CEO, Marlin Steel
"If you intend to grow your business beyond the U.S. border, Exporting: The Definitive Guide to Selling Abroad Profitably is a great place to start." Anita Campbell, founder of Small Business Trends
"As a valued Chapter Chair of the Women Presidents' Organization, Laurel Delaney has addressed a key issue our members face. While 25% of our members are international, another 25% would like to do business internationally. This book is a powerful guide that will help empower business owners and entrepreneurs by giving them everything they need to know about exporting." Dr. Marsha Firestone, President and Founder of the Women Presidents’ Organization
Exporting: The Definitive Guide to Selling Abroad Profitably is for entrepreneurs and small business owners—the makers, movers, and shakers in our world—interested in taking their businesses to the next level of growth through exports.
In the old days, creating an international business was left to relatively few--those with the wherewithal to move boatloads of goods into foreign countries. But now, thanks to the Internet, businesses of all sizes have a huge new opportunity to sell both goods and services globally. Yet only 1% of all U.S. businesses export. Why?
Typically, exporting begins with unsolicited inquiries from foreign customers on the web via email, website, blog, or posting on a Facebook page. People outside your country want your product, and they want it now. The problem is that most small business owners do not know how to service these inquiries. What's the best way to ship goods? Do I need a license? Should I sell through wholesalers in specific countries or directly to consumers? How will I get paid?
Help is here—Exporting equips you with the knowledge you need to market, sell, and fulfill orders internationally, taking full advantage of the Internet and the opportunities it creates. It also imparts a can-do spirit on exporting, leading to greater revenues, stability, and profitability for your business. Exporting: The Definitive Guide to Selling Abroad Profitably:
- Lays out simple steps to conduct market research, find customers, open new markets, get paid, and ship goods and services.
- Takes you through the exporting process via the Internet and other means.
- Shows how to use social media to expand your international presence.
- Provides insider tips and strategies to export efficiently and profitably.
- Explains how the U.S. government helps exporters.
- Walks readers through the export business plan.
With 70 percent of global buying power lying outside U.S. borders, exporting is not just an option for ambitious entrepreneurs--it’s an absolute must for building and sustaining a successful future.
What youll learn
- Identify products and services that can be profitably exported.
- Use the Internet to facilitate all aspects of exporting, especially marketing.
- Develop a clear strategy on how to export.
- Export your product or service efficiently and profitably.
- Find customers retail and wholesale customers globally, enter new markets, get paid, and ship.
- Explore your best territory using statistics and market research.
- Develop pricing and prepare documentation.
- Leverage the Internet and social mediaincluding using tablets and mobile phonesto boost your online exports.
Who this book is for
Exporting: The Definitive Guide to Selling Abroad Profitably is for entrepreneurs and small business owners who are new to exporting and are ready to take their business to the next level of growth. It is also for those who currently export but are looking for new market insights and have a desire to expand into other countries. Finally, it is for those who know that the Internet and social media offer opportunities for exporters but want to see how to best leverage their skills with the newest technologies into greater sales and profits.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Are You Ready to Export?
- Writing an Export Business Plan
- Prepping For Exports
- The Human Side of an Export Enterprise
- Online Fundamentals
- Creating a Social Media and Networking Presence
- Using e-Commerce and Social Media Sites as Stepping Stones to Export Success
- The E-Commerce Connectivity Craze
- The Mobile World at Work
- Marketing Your Business Worldwide
- Choosing a Product to Export
- Exploring Your Territory
- Preparing and Adapting Your Product for the Export Marketplace
- Preparing Your Service for Export
- Web Design with the World in Mind
- Finding Cross-Border Customers
- Methods of Exporting
- Transport, Logistics, and Fulfillment Options
- Pricing and Preparing Quotations
- Getting Paid
- Booking, Marking, Labeling, and Insuring
- Documentation, Export Licensing, and Other Procedures
- In Pursuit of Exceptional Export Service
- Cross-Cultural Learning
- Global Ethics
- International Business Travel and Security Tips
- Women Business Owners
- New Frontiers in Emerging Markets
- The Top Ten Export Business Markets
- Export Success
- Essential Keys to Export Success
Please Login to submit errata.No errata are currently published