- Full Description
2D games are everywhere, from mobile devices and websites to game consoles and PCs. Timeless and popular, 2D games represent a substantial segment of the games market.
In Learn Unity for 2D Game Development, targeted at both game development newcomers and established developers, experienced game developer Alan Thorn shows you how to use the powerful Unity engine to create fun and imaginative 2D games.
Written in clear and accessible language, Learn Unity for 2D Game Development will show you how to set up a step-by-step 2D workflow in Unity, how to build and import textures, how to configure and work with cameras, how to establish pixel-perfect ratios, and all of this so you can put that infrastructure to work in a real, playable game. Then the final chapters show you how to put what you've already made to work in creating a card-matching game, plus you'll learn how to optimize your game for mobile devices.
What youll learn
- How to create a 2D workflow in Unity
- Customizing the Unity Editor
- How to generate atlas textures and textured quads
- Animation effects and camera configuration
- Handling user input
- Creating a game from start to finish
- Optimizing for mobile devices
Who this book is for
Game development students and professionals, indie developers, game artists and designers, and Unity developers looking to improve their workflow and effectiveness.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents1. Unity Basics for 2D Games
2. Materials and Textures
3. Quick 2D Workflow
4. Customizing the Editor with Editor Classes
5. Procedural Geometry and Textured Quads
6. Generating Atlas Textures
7. UVs and Animation
8. Cameras and Pixel Perfection
9. Input for 2D Games
10. Getting Started with a 2D Game
11. Completing the 2D Card Game
13. Wrapping Things Up
- Source Code/Downloads
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know about it. You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed.No errata are currently published