- Full Description
Beginning T-SQL 2012 is the first stepÂ toward learning the T-SQL language that underlies Microsofts SQL Server database engine. T-SQL is essential in writing SQL statements to get data into and out of a database. T-SQL is the foundation for business logic embedded in the database in the form of stored procedures and functions. Beginning T-SQL 2012 starts you on the path to mastering T-SQL, with an emphasis on best practices and sound coding techniques.
Beginning T-SQL 2012 begins with an introduction to databases, normalization, and to SQL Server Management Studio. Each subsequent chapter teaches an aspect of T-SQL, building on the skills learned in previous chapters. Exercises in each chapter give readers an opportunity for the hands-on practice that leads to true learning and distinguishes the competent professional.
- Imparts best practices for writing T-SQL
- Helps you avoid common errors
- Shows how to write scalable code for good performance
What youll learn
- The fundamentals of relational theory, upon which Transact-SQL is based
- How to write accurate queries that are scalable and perform well
- How to combine set-based and procedural processing, obtaining the best from both worlds
- How to embed business logic in your database through stored procedures and functions
- How to simplify your work with new and advanced features, such as common table expressions and virtual tables
- How to enhance performance by knowing when to apply features such table value parameters, and when not to
Who this book is for
Beginning T-SQL 2012 is for developers and database administrators who will be writing database applications against SQL Server databases.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Getting Started
- Writing SimpleÂ SELECT Queries
- Using Functions and Expressions
- Querying Multiple Tables
- Grouping and Summarizing Data
- Manipulating Data
- Understanding T-SQL Programming Logic
- Working with XML
- Moving Logic to the Database
- Working with Data Types
- Writing Advanced Queries
- Where to Go Next?
- Source Code/Downloads
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know about it. You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed.No errata are currently published