- Full Description
The team that brought you the bestselling Beginning iPhone Development is back again for Beginning iOS 6 Development, bringing this definitive guide up-to-date with Apple's latest and greatest iOS 6 SDK, as well as with the latest version of Xcode.
There's coverage of brand new technologies, with chapters on storyboards and iCloud, for example, as well as significant updates to existing chapters to bring them in line with all the changes that came with the iOS 6 SDK. You'll have everything you need to create your very own apps for the latest iOS devices, including the iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and the latest iPod touch. Every single sample app in the book has been rebuilt from scratch using latest Xcode and the latest 64-bit iOS 6-specific project templates and designed to take advantage of the latest Xcode features.
Assuming only a minimal working knowledge of Objective-C, and written in a friendly, easy-to-follow style, Beginning iOS 6 Development offers a complete soup-to-nuts course in iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch programming. The book starts with the basics, walking through the process of downloading and installing Xcode and the iOS 6 SDK, and then guides you though the creation of your first simple application.
From there, youll learn how to integrate all the interface elements Apple touch users have come to know and love, such as buttons, switches, pickers, toolbars, and sliders. Youll master a variety of design patterns, from the simplest single view to complex hierarchical drill-downs. The confusing art of table building will be demystified, and youll learn how to save your data using the iPhone file system. Youll also learn how to save and retrieve your data using a variety of persistence techniques, including Core Data and SQLite. And theres much more! Youll learn to draw using Quartz 2D and OpenGL ES, add multitouch gestural support (pinches and swipes) to your applications, and work with the camera, photo library, accelerometer, and built-in GPS. Youll discover the fine points of application preferences and learn how to localize your apps for multiple languages.
- The iOS 6 update to the bestselling and most recommended book for Cocoa touch developers
- Packed full of tricks, techniques, and enthusiasm for the new SDK from a developer perspective
- Written in an accessible, easy-to-follow style
What youll learn
- Everything you need to know to develop your own bestselling iPhone and iPad apps
- Best practices for optimizing your code and delivering great user experiences
- How to create universal apps for both the iPhone and iPad
- What is data persistence and why is it important
- Get started with building cool, crisp User Interfaces
- What and how to use Table Views
- How to do graphics with Quartz and OpenGL ES
- What geo app development features the new iOS brings to the iPhone
- How to get your app in iCloud
- And much much more...
Who this book is for
Everyone who wants to start developing for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad!
For the latest source code, please head to www.iphonedevbook.com.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents1. Welcome to the Jungle
2. Appeasing the Tiki Gods
3. Handling Basic Interaction
4. More User Interface Fun
5. Autorotation and Autosizing
6. Multiview Applications
7. Tab Bars and Pickers
8. Introduction to Table Views
9. Navigation Controllers and Table Views
11. iPad Considerations
12. Application Settings and User Defaults
13. Basic Data Persistence
14. Get Your App in the iCloud
15. Grand Central Dispatch, Background Processing, and You
16. Drawing with Quartz and OpenGL
17. Taps, Touches, and Gestures
18. Where Am I? Finding Your Way with Core Location
19. Whee! Gyro and Accelerometer!
20. iPhone Camera and Photo Library
21. Collection Views
22. Application Localization
23. Appendix: Where to Next?
- Source Code/Downloads
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know about it. You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed.No errata are currently published