- Full Description
Beginning 3D Game Development with Unity 4 is perfect for those who would like to come to grips with programming Unity. You may be an artist who has learned 3D tools such as 3ds Max, Maya, or Cinema 4D, or you may come from 2D tools such as Photoshop and Illustrator. On the other hand, you may just want to familiarize yourself with programming games and the latest ideas in game production.
This book introduces key game production concepts in an artist-friendly way, and rapidly teaches the basic scripting skills you'll need with Unity. It goes on to show how you, as an independent game artist, can create interactive games, ideal in scope for today's casual and mobile markets, while also giving you a firm foundation in game logic and design.
- The first part of the book explains the logic involved in game interaction, and soon has you creating game assets through simple examples that you can build upon and gradually expand.
- In the second part, you'll build the foundations of a point-and-click style first-person adventure gameincluding reusable state management scripts, dialogue trees for character interaction, load/save functionality, a robust inventory system, and a bonus feature: a dynamically configured maze and mini-map.
- With the help of the provided 2D and 3D content, you'll learn to evaluate and deal with challenges in bite-sized pieces as the project progresses, gaining valuable problem-solving skills in interactive design.
What youll learn
- How to build interactive games that work on a variety of platforms
- Take the tour around Unity user interface fundamentals, scripting and more
- Create a test environment and gain control over functionality, cursor control, action objects, state management, object metadata, message text and more
- What is inventory logic and how to manage it
- How to handle 3D object visibility, effects and other special cases
- How to handle variety of menus and levels in your games development
- How to handle characters, scrollers, and more How to create or integrate a story/walkthrough
- How to use the new Mecanim animation
Who this book is for
Students or artists familiar with tools such as 3ds Max or Maya who want to create games for mobile platforms, computers, or consoles, but with little or no experience in scripting or the logic behind games development.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
02. Unity UI basics
03. Introduction to Scripting
04. Terrain Generation and Environment
05. Exploring Navigation
06. Cursor Control and Interaction
07. Importing Assets
08. Action Objects
09. Managing State
10. Exploring Transitions
11. Physics and Special Effects
12. Message Text and HUD
13. Inventory Logic
14. Managing Inventory
15. Dialogue Trees
17. Game Environment
18. Setting up the Game
19. Menus and Levels
- Source Code/Downloads
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know about it. You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed.No errata are currently published