- Full Description
Pro Oracle SQL, Second Edition unlocks the power of SQL in the Oracle databaseone of the most potent SQL implementations on the market today. To master it requires a multi-pronged approach: learn the language features, learn how and why the language features work, learn the supporting features that Oracle provides to help use the language effectively, and learn to think and work in sets.
Karen Morton has updated the content for Oracle version 12c and helps you master powerful aspects of Oracle SQL from the inside-out. Youll learn analytic functions, the MODEL clause, and advanced grouping syntaxfeatures that will help in creating good queries for reporting and business intelligence applications. Pro Oracle SQL, Second Edition also helps you minimize parsing overhead, read execution plans, test for correct results, understand performance management, and exert control over SQL execution in your database. Youll learn when to create indexes, how to verify that they make a difference, how to use SQL Baselines and Profiles to optimize and stabilize SQL execution plans, and much more. Youll also understand how SQL is optimized for working in sets, and that the key to getting accurate results lies in making sure that queries ask clear and precise questions.
Pro Oracle SQL, Second Edition helps you work at a truly professional level in the Oracle dialect of SQL. Youll master the language, the tools to work effectively with the language, and the right way to think about a problem in SQL.
- Endorsed by the OakTable Network, a group of Oracle technologists well-known for their rigorous and scientific approach to Oracle Database performance
- Comprehensivegoes beyond the language with a focus on what you need to know to write successful queries and data manipulation statements.
- Performance focusedteaches you how to measure the performance of your SQL statements and not just the syntax.
What youll learn
- Master powerful SQL features implemented in the Oracle Database
- Understand how the Oracle Optimizer develops execution plans
- Read and interpret SQL execution plans
- Quickly diagnose and fix badly performing SQL
- Control execution plans through hints, profiles, and plan baselines
- Optimize queries within packaged applications without touching the code
- Recognize when not to waste time on SQL that is performing optimally
Who this book is for
Pro Oracle SQL, Second Edition is aimed at developers and database administrators who submit SQL for execution by an Oracle database. Readers should already know the basic four SQL statements, and be ready to learn deeply about Oracles specific implementation of the language, including Oracle-specific features and syntax. Readers should also want to learn about Oracle Database features such as analytic queries, the MODEL clause, and the WITH clause (subquery factoring) that are designed to help developers and database administrators exert control over their SQL environment and its execution.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Core SQL
- SQL Execution
- Access and Join Methods
- SQL is About Sets
- Its About the Question
- SQL Execution Plans
- Advanced Grouping
- Analytic Functions
- The Model Clause
- Subquery Factoring
- Semi-joins and Anti-joins
- Beyond the SELECT
- Transaction Processing
- Testing and Quality Assurance
- Plan Stability
- Plan Management/Control
- Cool SQL Constructs
- Source Code/Downloads
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know by emailing to email@example.com . You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed. No errata are currently published