- Full Description
The Essential Guide to Flash Games is a unique tool for Flash game developers. Rather than focusing on a bunch of low-level how-to material, this book dives straight into building games. The book is divided into specific game genre projects, covering everything from old classics such as a Missile Command-style game, to hot new genres such as retro evolved. The chapters build in complexity through the book, and new tools are introduced along the way that can be reused for other games.
- The game projects covered start simple and increase in complexity as more and more tools are added to your tool chest.
- Ten full game projects are discussed in detail. Each solves a very different game development problem and builds on the knowledge gained from the previous project.
- Many advanced game development techniques are covered, including particle systems, advanced controls, artificial intelligence, blitting, scrolling, and more.
What youll learn
- Flash/Flex ActionScript 3 game development
- How to apply object-oriented game development techniques
- How to solve a wide variety specific Flash game programming problems
- How to develop a game engine and set of tools that can be reused
- How to implement ten different games (in styles ranging from retro to modern Flash games)
- How to optimize various games
Who this book is for
This book is for intermediate Flash developers, Flash game developers, game developers looking to move to the Flash platform, and experienced web developers who want to learn how to make games.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- The Second Game Theory
- Creating an AS3 Game Framework
- Creating Super Click
- Laying the Groundwork for Flak Cannon
- Building the Flak Cannon Game Loop
- Laying the Groundwork for No Tanks!
- Creating the Full No Tanks! Game
- Creating the Color Drop Casual Puzzle Game
- Creating the Dice Battle Puzzle Game
- Blit Scrolling in a Tile-Based World
- Creating an Optimized Post-Retro Game
- Creating a Viral Game: Tunnel Panic
- Source Code/Downloads
Please Login to submit errata.No errata are currently published