- Full Description
In the last few years, Android has progressed with the debut of better fonts, new User Interface and Experience (UI/UX) APIs, tablet considerations, multi-touch capabilities, multi-tasking, faster performance, improved battery management techniques, and now Google TV Android Apps for the Android game app developer repertoire.
With actionable real-world source, Pro Android Games, Second Edition shows you how to build more sophisticated and addictive Android games, by leveraging the power of these recent advancements found in the new Android Jelly Beans development platform as well as those you've counted on in earlier releases. Multi-touch code gives these games and their players dynamic input and exchange ability, for a more realistic arcade game experience. Faster and better performance offers game players a more seamless, fun arcade experience like never before on Android. There is also improved native C/C++ integration with Android's NDK as well, which makes coding, compiling, and converting both productive and efficient with gains in app performance.
*** NOTE: This book published previously as Advanced Android 4 Games. This edition covers game development for all Android SDK versions up to Jelly Bean / Android SDK 4.1.
Pro Android Games, Second Edition features the following improvements:
- Updates to the latest version of the Android SDK, NKD, plus the latest Eclipse IDE.
- Greater focus on tablets the ever changing device resolutions, and hardware specs.
- Native game development and hardware accelerated graphics.
- Bigger and Better Real World Engines, such as Quake I and II Plus an oldie from the previous edition: Doom
- Coverage of the new smart TV APIs (Google TV), UI, UX, multi-touch and multi-tasking features available with Android Jelly Bean.
- A look into the future with augmented reality
- Advanced techniques for improving your game playing experience including better multi-tasking, improved performance optimization, battery management and more.
- A "Quake 3D"-like game app case study
Youll definitely have fun, and perhaps youll even make some money. Enjoy!
What youll learn
- Key advanced Android gaming techniques using the new Android SDK and NDK
- How to add and integrate multi-touch
- How to use Bluetooth controllers (Zeemote)
- More gaming tricks and tips, such as hybrid 3D graphics with OpenGL and JNI
- How to port, augment a 3D shooter "Doom"-like game app using OpenGL
- How to build a 3D shooter game like "Quake" and "Quake II"
- How and where to best deploy these game apps
Who this book is for
This book is for savvy Android app developers who are looking for professional or advanced techniques for porting, augmenting and building 3D game apps that are complex, fun and lucrative.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Welcome to Android Gaming
- Gaming Tricks for Phones or Tablets
- More Gaming Tricks with OpenGL and JNI
- Efficient Graphics and Portability with OpenGL ES 2.0
- 3D Shooters for Doom
- 3D Shooters for Quake
- 3D Shooters for Quake II
- Fun With Bluetooth Controllers
- A Look Into the Future: Augmented Reality and Google TV
- Deployment and Compilation Tips
- Source Code/Downloads
Please Login to submit errata.No errata are currently published