FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASELooking for inspiration to create a killer iPhone app? Apress’s latest book, "iPhone Design Award-Winning Projects," is all about building apps with good design, parsimonious code, and aesthetic appeal.
Learn hard-won lessons straight from the 2009 winners of the Apple Design Awards (ADAs) for the iPhone. Directly from a series of interviews with the leading developers of ubiquitous iPhone apps such as Tweetie, Facebook, Topple 2, foursquare, AccuTerra, Exit Strategy NYC Subway Map, Postage, Wooden Labyrinth 3D, Prowl, Instapaper, and more, here are eight tips to getting your app on the road to award-winning success:
1) Innovate beyond Apple’s design standards while still maintaining Apple’s logic for consistency, clarity, and usability.
2) Consider making a game social. App connectivity using Core Location has the potential to create an incredibly Pavlovian response in users looking for something to do…which can be the difference between an amusing app and truly addictive one.
3) Use compression to pack large images and geo data into a local app if your app is data-heavy.
4) Build an app with beauty as well as brains. Don’t settle for less than absolute excellence in execution. Good looks may win impulse buyers, but it is an app’s brains that keep those buyers using it long after they’ve come across competitors.
5) Create a beautiful app without falling victim to memory issues by harnessing OpenGL, skinning, object reuse, and by coding efficiently.
6) Keep the feature list focused, simple, refined, and compelling. Fit the big idea for your app into a small space by thoroughly understanding your user’s needs.
7) Plan an App Store strategy that works with and empowers your users. Don’t release your app without formulating this step.
8) Prepare for upgrades, name-changes, spin-offs, and price adjustments. The life of an app depends on so much more than just initial coding and design, it also relies on knowing how to handle the second act. This means being agile and adapting to the fast-changing standards of the App Store.
About "iPhone Design Award-Winning Projects"
Apress’s latest book, "iPhone Design Award-Winning Projects," profiles developers who have received the prestigious Apple Design Award for iPhone app excellence. You’ll learn all about what makes these apps truly standout, including explanations of great user interface design and implementation, as well as the code under the hood that makes these the most responsive, intuitive, useful, and just plain fun apps running on the iPhone. For more information about "iPhone Design Award-Winning Projects," visit HYPERLINK "http://www.apress.com/book/view/143027235x" http://www.apress.com/book/view/143027235x.
"iPhone Design Award-Winning Projects"
By Chris Dannen
Will Publish December 29, 2009
Print Book Price: $39.99
eBook Price: $27.99