- Full Description
Business intelligence (BI) software is the code and tools that allow you to view different components of a business using a single visual platform, making comprehending mountains of data easier. Applications that include reports, analytics, statistics, and historical and predictive modeling are all examples of BI applications. Currently, we are in the second generation of BI software, called BI 2.0. This generation is focused on writing BI software that is predictive, adaptive, simple, and interactive.
As computers and software have evolved, more data can be presented to end users with increasingly visually rich techniques. Rich Internet application (RIA) technologies such as Microsoft Silverlight can be used to transform traditional user interfaces filled with boring data into fully interactive analytical applications to deliver insight from large data sets quickly. Furthermore, RIAs include 3D spatial design capabilities that allow for interesting layouts of aggregated data beyond a simple list or grid. BI 2.0 implemented via RIA technology can truly bring out the power of BI and deliver it to an average user via the Web.
Next-Generation Business Intelligence Software with Rich Internet Applications provides developers, designers, and architects a solid foundation of BI design and architecture concepts with Microsoft Silverlight. This book covers key BI design concepts and how they can be applied without requiring an existing BI infrastructure. The author, Bart Czernicki, will show you how to build small BI applications by example that are interactive, highly visual, statistical, predictive, and most importantly, intuitive to the user.
BI isn't just for the executive branch of a Fortune 500 company; it is for the masses. Let Next-Generation Business Intelligence Software with Rich Internet Applications show you how to unlock the rich intelligence you already have.
What youll learn
- Design rich BI solutions for the masses
- Discover tips for using engaging BI designs for application presentation
- Consume BI data as a service
- Understand and create SaaS models in BI
- Craft BI solutions using the most advanced Silverlight 3.0 technology through C# 3.0
Who this book is for
- Business intelligence professionals/developers: Cube designers, report writers, SharePoint administrators, and others in this group are looking for a resource to gain additional wisdom on cutting-edge BI concepts. These readers will gain ideas that go beyond the capabilities of the traditional BI tools they are used to
- Senior developers or architects: Developers who are familiar with writing traditional software applications and want to broaden their understanding of concepts in order to include BI fall into this category. Some may have never written any BI applications in their careers but are interested in what BI has to offer. These readers will understand the core BI concepts and how to apply them using application techniques
- CTOs/BI directors: These are senior managers who make strategic decisions with BI. The technical examples will probably be overly technical for these readers. However, the numerous visual aids within this book will help these strategic managers make better decisions after seeing next-generation BI concepts implemented
- BI consultants: These readers may be any combination of the preceding three categories. The BI consultant can use this book as a resource for ideas and examples of next-generation BI designs
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Business Intelligence 2.0 Defined
- Advantages of Applying Business Intelligence 2.0 Using Microsoft Silverlight
- Silverlight as a Business Intelligence Client
- Adding Interactivity to Business Intelligence Data
- Introduction to Data Visualizations
- Creating Data Visualizations for Analysis
- Enhancing Visual Intelligence in Silverlight
- Applying Collective Intelligence
- Predictive Analytics (What-If Modeling)
- Improving Performance with Concurrent Programming
- Integrating with Business Intelligence Systems