- Full Description
Beginning VB 2008 Databases teaches you everything you need to know about relational databases, SQL, and ADO.NET 2.0, giving you a sound start in developing console and Windows database applications. The book also includes chapters on the SQL Server XML data type and the LINQ enhancements to the next version of Visual Basic.
In addition to teaching you database basics like using SQL to communicate with databases, this book provides you with detailed, code-practical techniques to access data in Visual Basic 2008 across a range of coding situations. Code-heavy and full of practical detail, this book has been fully revised and upgraded for .NET 3.5 and offers you the best contemporary practice in this core programming area, so that youll find yourself using it in nearly all your .NET projects.
- Provides step-by-step instructions on how to install and configure necessary tools
- Presents all essential SQL query and update concepts and syntax, so you dont need prior familiarity with relational databases or SQL
- Describes how to use ADO.NET transactions, exceptions, and events
- Covers ADO.NET features for handling XML, text, and binary data within a Visual Basic 2008 context
- Explains all concepts through straightforward code examples
What youll learn
- How relational databases work and how to use them
- How Visual Basic uses ADO.NET to access databases
- How to write stored procedures in T-SQL and call them from Visual Basic programs
- How to use XML in database applications
- How to use LINQ to simplify VB database programming
- How to install SQL Server 2005 Express and use it to teach yourself databases by doing databases
Who this book is for
Beginning VB 2008 Databases is for every VB programmer. Database programming requires relatively little knowledge of VB but a lot of knowledge about relational database concepts and the database language SQL. This book assumes no prior database experience and teaches you, always through hands-on examples, how to create and use relational databases with SQL and how to access them with VB. Almost every application needs to access a database, and this book teaches all the fundamentals you may ever need to develop professional database applications.
- Source Code/Downloads
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org . You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed. No errata are currently published