- Full Description
The behavior of many technical systems important in everyday life can be described using discrete states and state-changing events. Stochastic discrete-event systems (SDES) capture the randomness in choices and over time due to activity delays and the probabilities of decisions. The starting point for the evaluation of quantitative issues like performance and dependability is a formal description of the system of interest in a model. Armin Zimmermann delivers a coherent and comprehensive overview on modeling with and quantitative evaluation of SDES. An abstract model class for SDES is presented as a pivotal unifying result. Several important model classes, including queuing networks, Petri nets and automata, are detailed together with their formal translation into this abstract model class. Standard and recently developed algorithms for the performance evaluation, optimization and control of SDES are presented in the context of the abstract model class. The necessary software tool support is also covered. The book is completed with nontrivial examples from areas like manufacturing control, performance of communication systems, and supply-chain management, highlighting the application of the techniques presented. For researchers and graduate students this monograph summarizes the body of knowledge for modeling and evaluating SDES, while bringing it to a new abstraction level with the introduction of a new and unifying framework. In addition, the extensive reference list is an excellent starting point for further detailed reading and research.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Part I: Modeling: A Unified Description for Stochastic Discrete Event Systems, Stochastic Timed Automata, Queing Models, Simple Petri Nets, Colored Petri Nets.
- Part II: Evaluations: Standard Quantitative Evaluation Methods for SEDS, An Iterative Approximation Method, Efficient Simulation of SDES Methods, System Optimization, Model
- Based Direct Control, Software Tool Support.
- Part III: Applications: Optimization of a Manufacturing System, Communication System Performability Evaluation, Supply Chain Performance Evaluation and Design, Model
- Based Design and Control of a Production Cell.
- Summary and Outlook.
Please Login to submit errata.No errata are currently published