Apress Access gives you unlimited yearly web-based use of over 900 published Apress computing, technology and business titles with more on the way. You get all the information you need from the Apress Access Library, anytime you need it, anywhere in the world.
As a subscriber, you have instant access to top quality content on must-have topics as well as classic tech reads, and you will be among the first to take advantage of new titles as they are released! Instead of burning time on extended unproductive Internet searches, make Apress Access your first option in researching any technical topic. It could not be faster. Spend your time reading to your heart’s content instead of fighting through maddening disjointed blog posts or documentation only to get piecemeal answers. You deserve better – you deserve Apress Access.
What do you get for $199?
- Unlimited access to Apress titles for a full year
- Instant access to each new Apress publication
- Compatibility on any device—desktop, laptop or mobile
- Use of our new blazing fast exclusive-to-Apress reader
- Unparalleled search function in a reader—look in a chapter, a book, your personal bookshelf, or even across the whole catalog and get instant, comprehensive results
- Bookmark content for later reference
- Adjust font sizes to suit your comfort
- Add books to your exclusive Apress Access Bookshelf
- Option to download any eBook for just $4.99, for a limited time
The catch? There isn’t one. Just $199 for access to the incredible vast array of content on Apress.com. Start your unlimited Apress Access experience today!
Apress Access General Terms
The following are the general terms for the purchase of an annual subscription to Apress Access providing you with 24x7 access to Apress eBooks on Apress.com for just $199.
Over 300,000 individuals have purchased eBooks on Apress.com and many purchase several a year. So, we decided to give everyone the opportunity to access virtually all of our content through this Apress Access subscription.
An Apress Access subscription is intended to allow you browser-based access to the Apress Access Library for a period of one year. With Apress Access you get access to the rich content available from Apress over the years that remains viable, in addition to the new publications as they come to market. All you need to do is register and make payment. If you are already registered, you do not have to re-enter your contact information.
Who may use the subscription
This is a single user subscription. Only one person may use or access a single subscription or any subscription benefits. If the subscriber is a company, the company must assign the subscription to one person within the company, and only that person may use or access the subscription or any subscription benefits. For multiple users, your company may wish to enquire about multi-user licenses at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to purchase a subscription
You may purchase your Apress Access subscription package on Apress.com by clicking on the Purchase Now! button on the Apress.com home page, entering your contact and credit card information, and accepting the legal agreement. Thereafter you have access to the Apress Access Library for a period of one year. You can use the new Your Bookshelf button on the home page to access books you might want come back to regularly. If you are in any way not delighted with Apress Access, you may opt out of the Apress Access subscription within 24 hours of purchase and your credit card will not be charged. You agree that otherwise no refund will be made to you for the purchase price.
Those already registered on Apress.com will retain all of their existing eBooks, so go ahead and take advantage of this offer and if you decide not to renew a year from now, your existing eBooks will still be there. Apress will, from time to time offer the Subscriber “permanent access” to eBooks to be stored in Your Account for the life of the eBook at a significant discount, so check the home page for offers.
Access to online eBook content
The subscription provides you with login access to the Apress eBooks in the Apress Access Library and associated benefits. If you have already registered on Apress.com, then you may purchase this plan using your current login. Your login also gives you access to a viewer which will only be accessible by one person on your browser. You can access this viewer from browsers on different devices. When your subscription concludes and you have not renewed, you will no longer have access to the eBooks within the viewer or any associated benefits on any of these devices other than those that will be retained if you had products from a pre-existing Apress.com login or purchased them during the subscription as provided for in Section 2 above.
Changes to the subscription benefits
Apress reserves the right to change the benefits available under the subscription at any time without any notice to you, such as which titles are made available, formats of the eBook made available, or enhancements in options to access your eBooks.
Use of the eBooks and other benefits
- The subscription provides you with unlimited access for renewable periods of one year to the standard eBooks in the Apress Access subscription package. This package is substantially similar to the Apress books listed on Apress.com.
- This package does not include Apress Alpha books (pre-release books) until their final release, any Springer books on Apress.com, enhanced media eBooks, or products in other media such as video or audio.
- The subscription provides that you will be able to copy and paste text from the eBooks. However, standard copyright protection of these eBooks applies and copied text must only be used for your personal use without otherwise seeking permission from Apress.
- Since the eBook is browser based, you may also print portions of the book as well. Again, standard copyright protection of these eBooks applies and any printed text must only be used for your personal use without otherwise seeking permission from Apress./li>
Restrictions on the use of eBooks
This special offering is made only for personal use. Your use of the online book content is subject to the license agreement provided in the registration process.
- You may not share, reproduce, reconstruct, alter, transfer, resell, or otherwise utilize the eBooks except as provided herein.
- This subscription offer does not apply to libraries, any type of shared network, to corporate uses other than as prescribed herein, or any other form of sharing documents in print, electronic or any other form. You may not assign or otherwise allow use of your subscription.
- You will not be able to access Apress Access or its content if you do not have an active subscription.
- The components of each eBook are licensed as a single unit. You may not alter the eBooks, re-engineer them to be installed on different devices or otherwise provide access to them by third parties.
You access the online eBook content by logging into your account on Apress.com. You are responsible for the use of the login password assigned to you. You may not resell, share, assign, or otherwise transfer your password. Password activity is monitored. Apress reserves the right to suspend or terminate your subscription, without any notice or obligation to you, if Apress detects suspicious activity related to passwords or activations. Apress reserves the right to determine in its sole discretion whether an activity constitutes suspicious activity. Apress will deactivate your access to the viewer and therefore the Apress content when your subscription ends, but your login to Apress.com and any pre-existing eBooks will still be accessible.
Ending the subscription
Your subscription commences for a period of one year after you have purchased the subscription and you may not cancel after purchasing the subscription. Your subscription expires if you do not renew by paying the subscription fee prior to the expiration of the yearly subscription period. There are no refunds or partial refunds once you have subscribed. Apress may suspend or terminate your subscription if Apress believes that you have failed to comply with any part of this agreement.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
These Terms and Conditions govern the contractual relationship between Apress Media LLC, 233 Spring Street, New York, New York, 10013 (“Apress”) as the operator of the website apress.com and its registered subscriber (“Subscriber”). By registering on apress.com, the Subscriber and Apress hereby agree to be bound by and comply with these Terms and Conditions (also referred to as the “Agreement”).
1. Description of the Platform
Apress is a technical publisher devoted to meeting the needs of IT, computing and business professionals, software developers, and programmers. On the website www.apress.com (also referred to as the “Platform”), Apress provides browser-based access to the current and past viable ebook content published by Apress through a subscription package called Apress Access (based on availability and the restrictions set forth in Section 5, such ebooks are hereinafter referred to as “Apress Content”). These Terms and Conditions govern the conditions on which the Subscriber can purchase a subscription and use Apress Content.
2. Registration and user account
2.1 In order to purchase a subscription and use Apress Content, the Subscriber must register; thereby creating a user account. Subscriber must complete the registration by entering his/her contact information and payment information unless already registered at Apress.com. After completion, Subscriber will receive an e-mail from Apress, confirming the registration. Using the login from this email, Subscriber may now browse and access Apress Content on the Platform.
2.2 The Subscriber is solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality and security of the account and for all activities that occur on or through the account. The Subscriber agrees to immediately notify Apress of any security issues of the account which the Subscriber becomes aware of. Apress shall not be responsible for any losses arising out of the unauthorized use of the account. The Subscriber furthermore agrees to provide only accurate and complete information when registering with the Platform and to regularly update the registration data.
3. Subscription Options
3.1 Only Subscriber may access and use the Apress Content included in the purchased Subscription Package and any related subscription benefits Apress may provide. If the Subscriber is a company, the company must have the user register and only that person may access and use the Apress Content included in the Subscription Package assigned to him/her or any related subscription benefits Apress may provide. For more than one user, companies should contact email@example.com.
3.2 For the life of the subscription, Subscriber can access the Apress Content included in the purchased Subscription Package by selecting Apress Access Library on the home page of Apress.com.
3.3 Apress may on occasion offer subscribers “permanent access” to ebooks at a significant discount. These purchases will be provided for the life of the ebook and so will survive the subscription unless the book is put out of print during the term of your subscription. Such books will be added to Your Account along with any ebooks you purchased from Apress prior to subscribing to Apress Access.
4. Grant and Scope of License
4.1 Subject to Subscriber’s compliance with these Terms and Conditions, and except as otherwise stated therein, Apress hereby grants the Subscriber a non-exclusive, revocable and non-transferrable license to access the Apress Content for the duration set forth in these Terms and Conditions.
4.2 Subscriber may, solely for personal purposes:
- access (including remote access) browse, view, collate, display, search and retrieve the Apress Content,
- save the content of a chapter as a HTML document without the links in the chapter for Subscriber’s use only, and
- supply electronic copies of individual articles or eBook chapters of the Apress Content when required by law for use in legal proceedings;
5. Prohibited Uses
Subscriber and Authorized User shall not:
- remove, obscure or alter any copyright or other notices, trademarks, logos, service marks or any other proprietary rights appearing in or on the Apress Content without written permission from Apress,
- update, change, revise, adapt, modify, translate, transform or create any derivative work of the Apress Content,
- re-distribute, reproduce, or transmit the Apress Content by any means including electronic (e. g., via e-mail) nor post it on their personal or public websites or on public networks,
- systematically download any Apress Content except as provided for herein, use routines designed to continuously and automatically search and index the Apress Content (full text and meta data), such as web-crawling or spider programs or engage in any activity likely to burden Apress’s websites,
- directly or indirectly use or assist any third party to use the Apress Content for any commercial or monetary purposes including without limitation any sale, resale, loan, transfer or upload of the Apress Content to a commercial or non-commercial entity’s internet website, or otherwise charge a fee for access.
6. Rights and Obligations of Apress
6.1 Apress reserves the right to monitor, investigate and analyze all available data including log files to detect misuse of the Apress Content by Subscriber and Authorized Users. Apress will inform Subscriber in any case of misuse.
6.2 Apress shall use reasonable efforts to provide online availability of the Platform and the Apress Content, subject to periodic unavailability due to server and software maintenance and services outside of Apress’s control, and to restore access to the Apress Content as promptly as possible in the event of an interruption or suspension of access to the Platform.
6.3 Apress reserves the right and has sole discretion to withdraw any part of the Apress Content to which it no longer retains the right to publish or it has reasonable grounds to believe is unlawful, harmful, false or infringing.
6.4 Apress retains the right to block or otherwise prevent any tampering or unauthorized use of the Platform in violation of these Terms and Conditions.
6.5 Apress retains all right, title, and interest in and to the Apress Content, and any trademarks, patent rights, copyrights, and rights to any ideas and designs relating to the Apress Content, the Platform, and all software used to access the same.
7. Rights and Obligations of Subscriber
7.1 Subscriber shall use best efforts to ensure that access and use of the Apress Content is limited to the subscriber.
7.2 Subscriber shall promptly inform Apress of any breaches in security in Subscriber’s accounts.
7.3 If Subscriber becomes aware of any unauthorized use of the Apress Content, Subscriber shall immediately inform Apress and shall take appropriate steps to ensure that such activity ceases and to prevent its recurrence. Subscriber agrees to terminate the access to any subscription content, included any downloaded Apress Content upon termination of the subscription.
8. License Fee
8.1 Subscriber shall pay the annual fee for the purchased Subscription Package (the “License Fee”). The price of the Subscription Package is displayed at the Platform. Subscriber agrees that the granting of rights in or to the Apress Content under these Terms and Conditions only becomes effective if the Subscriber has paid in full all amounts due to Apress. The subscription, and renewals thereof, will only be made available up payment.
8.2 All amounts payable by Subscriber shall be exclusive of any sales, use, withholding, value added or similar taxes, government fees or levies or other assessments which shall be the sole responsibility of Subscriber.
9. Data Protection and PrivacyApress may save and process personal data of the Subscriber only for the purpose of the conclusion and the execution of the agreement and as long as Apress is required to keep such data in accordance with applicable law. Apress shall not make available any personal data of the Subscriber to third parties without the Subscriber’s prior written consent, except to the extent that a disclosure is required under applicable law. Further information on data protection can be found at www.apress.com/privacy-policy.
10. Term and Termination
10.1 Subscriber may opt out of the Apress Access subscription within 24 hours of purchase and the credit card will not be charged. Subscriber agrees that otherwise no refund will be made to Subscriber for the purchase price.
10.2 Unless renewed by Subscriber, this Agreement and the rights granted hereunder shall terminate twelve (12) months subsequent to the purchase of a Subscription by Subscriber.
10.3 Apress may terminate this Agreement without further notice if the Subscriber materially breaches the Agreement.
10.4 In the event of termination or expiration of this Agreement, Subscriber shall discontinue accessing the respective Apress Content via the Platform and the license grant shall terminate with regard to the Apress Content. All Apress content purchased prior to the original subscription date shall remain available and are not subject to the expiration of the subscription. Failure to renew prior to subscription expiration will result in the deletion of Your Bookshelf on the Platform. All indemnification obligations herein shall survive such termination or expiration.
11. Representations, Warranties, Indemnification
11.1 Apress represents and warrants that, to its knowledge (i) it has sufficient copyrights, ownership rights and/or utilization rights in and to the Apress Content, and that (ii) use of the Apress Content by Subscriber in accordance with these Terms and Conditions shall not infringe any United States copyright, trademark, patent, or rights of privacy or publicity of any third party.
11.2 Apress shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Subscriber from and against any and all claims, demands, obligations, costs, losses and liabilities, including reasonable attorney fees incurred by Subscriber which arise out of an alleged violation of its representations and warranties set forth herein.
11.3 EXCEPT FOR THE EXPRESS WARRANTIES AND INDEMNITIES STATED HEREIN AND TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, APRESS PROVIDES THE APRESS CONTENT "AS IS" AND MAKES NO OTHER REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY. APRESS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY CLAIM ARISING FROM OR OUT OF THE APRESS CONTENT, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY ERRORS, INACCURACIES, OMISSIONS, OR DEFECTS CONTAINED THEREIN, AND ANY IMPLIED OR EXPRESS WARRANTY AS TO MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. APRESS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, EVEN IF IT HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
11.4 Subscriber shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Apress and its subsidiaries, affiliates, divisions, successors and assigns from and against any and all claims, demands, obligations, costs, losses and liabilities, including reasonable attorney fees incurred by Subscriber which arise out of an alleged violation of its representations and warranties set forth herein.
12.1 Apress may assign its rights or delegate its obligations, or any part thereof under this Agreement without the prior consent of Subscriber. Subscriber may not assign its rights or delegate its obligations or any part thereof under the Agreement without the prior written consent of Apress. Any attempt by Subscriber to assign or delegate any rights or obligations set forth in the Agreement without Apress’s prior written consent shall be prohibited.
12.2 Either party’s delay or failure to perform any term or condition of the Agreement as a result of conditions beyond its control such as, but not limited to, war, strikes, fires, floods, governmental restrictions, power failures, or damage or destruction of any network facilities or servers, shall not be deemed a breach of the Agreement.
12.3 If any provision of these Terms and Conditions is invalid, illegal or incapable of being enforced, by reason of any rule of law or public policy, all other provisions shall nevertheless remain in full force and effect.
12.4 The rights and obligations of the parties under these Terms and Conditions shall be construed, interpreted and determined in accordance with the laws of the State of New York without reference to the choice-of-law principles of this state or any other jurisdiction.
12.5 The parties acknowledge and agree that any controversies arising out of these Terms and Conditions shall be decided exclusively in the federal and state courts located within the Southern District of New York, and consent to personal jurisdiction therein. EACH PARTY WAIVES ANY RIGHT IT MAY HAVE TO A JURY TRIAL, OBJECTION TO VENUE OR INCONVENIENT FORUM.
12.6 All notices given pursuant to these Terms and Conditions shall be in writing (letter or e-mail) and shall be deemed given upon receipt thereof. Notice to Apress shall be firstname.lastname@example.org or the postal address set forth above. Notice to Subscriber shall be to Subscriber’s e-mail or postal address as provided by Subscriber by registering the user account.
12.7 These Terms and Conditions are solely for Apress's and Subscriber's benefit. They are not for the benefit of any other person, except for permitted successors and assigns under this Agreement.
- Getting Started
Getting Started with Apress Access
Make sure you watch the video first!
Registering and Signing Up
- Select the Purchase Now! button.
- Sign in if you are an existing user or register if you are not.
- You should now be on the Shopping Cart page; select Proceed to Checkout.
- Follow the directions including providing credit card information. When you are done, we will send an email with a link, but you will have access to Apress Access upon completion of the purchase if you are logged in simply by selecting the Apress Access Library link on the main menu.
Reading Apress Access Books
- Select the Apress Access Library link. The Apress Access Library will list all books available for reading.
- You are now on the Apress Access Home Page. You can search for any eBook included in the subscription using:
search-term @epub true
- Click on the book’s cover or title to bring you to the book’s page.
- When on a book’s page, select Read Now, to read and search the book.
Adding a Book to Your Bookshelf
Your Bookshelf is where you can store books that you are current reading or want to refer to in the future. Your Bookshelf is not required for simply reading books.
- To add a book, go to the Apress Access Library.
- You can search for books in the Apress Acces Library using:
search-term @epub true
- Select the book you want to get to its book page.
- Select Read Now to open the book in the online eBook reader.
- Select Your Bookshelf (or the bookshelf icon) and then select Add Current Book to Bookshelf. Your book is now stored in Your Bookshelf.
- If you want to go back to the last book you selected, you can select it in the Your Bookshelf book list or you can close the Your Bookshelf window by selecting the close icon or clicking anywhere outside the bookshelf window.
- After you have picked at least one book for Your Bookshelf, when you open the Your Bookshelf link on the Apress Home Page, Your Bookshelf will be displayed for accessing your favorite books.
- You can get back to the Apress Access Home Page by simply selecting the Apress Access logo on the top left or use the menu to do so.
eBook Reader Controls
- Menu. The menu gives you fast access to commonly used links on the Apress web site. Click anywhere outside the menu to close the menu.
- Bookmarks. You can bookmark you books in Your Bookshelf using the second icon. It’s a good idea to put the book in Your Bookshelf before you use bookmarks. Click the close button or anywhere outside the bookmark window to close it.
- Bookshelf. Add or remove your favorite books in your bookshelf. Click the close button or anywhere outside the bookshelf window to close it.
- Search. You can search for terms in the current chapter, the current book, your bookshelf collection or the entire Apress Access Library. Click the close button or anywhere outside the search window to close it.
- Decrease and Increase font size. These icons control the font size in the eBook reader.
- Settings. Different themes and features are selected here. Click anywhere outside the menu to close the menu.
- Close Table of Contents. The table of contents may be hidden to provide a larger content display.
- Previous and Next Chapter. Use the previous and next chapter buttons to navigate between chapters. You may also select the chapter to view in the table of contents.
- Previous and Next Page. Use the previous and next page buttons to scroll up and down in the current chapter.
- Selecting the Apress Access logo always takes you to the Apress Access Home Page. You can search for other books and find other books to add to Your Bookshelf.
- I got my email, now what?
It is important to read the Getting Started tab on this page to save you time.
- What is the difference between Apress Access books and purchasing eBooks on Apress.com?
The difference is that on Apress Access you have browser access to the entire library and so can look at the books online so long as you have a subscription. By purchasing an Apress book you can download the eBook for your personal use.
- Do I keep the books I already bought?
Yes, the books you already own are in Your Account and you can access them separately from Apress Access as you always did and will be able to even if your subscription to Apress Access lapses.
- I cannot find my books for my subscription.
You must have purchased an Apress Access subscription and be logged in. Select the Apress Access Library link on the main menu. You can select a book to go to the book’s page. The book’s page is where you can access a book you have not read before simply by selecting the Read Now button.
- Do I have to store books in Your Bookshelf?
No, it is just a convenient place to put books you might go back to. If you want to use bookmarks, you will want to store the book in Your Bookshelf.
- I put a book into Your Bookshelf, now what?
You now have that book in Your Bookshelf for the life of the subscription unless you delete it. Select the Apress Access logo or use the menu to get back to the Apress Access Home Page and select more books for Your Bookshelf or simply access books using the Read Now button on any book’s page to start reading.
- Why should I use @epub true in my search?
By adding this to your search term, you ensure that the eBook is available for the Apress Access subscription. An Apress Access book always has a Read Now button on its book page.
- I got my email, now what?