Digital Image Processing
An Algorithmic Introduction Using Java
Authors: Burger, Wilhelm, Burge, Mark J.
- Compact introduction to the methods of the digital image processing
- Covers the most important procedures
- Formal and mathematical aspects are discussed at a fundamental level
- Practical examples and exercises throughout
- A comprehensive website supports the book, and contains full source code for all examples in the book, a question and answer forum, slide sets for instructors, images, reviews and errata
Buy this book
- eBook $69.99
price for USA
- ISBN 978-1-84628-968-2
- Digitally watermarked, DRM-free
- Included format: PDF
- ebooks can be used on all reading devices
- Immediate eBook download after purchase
- About this Textbook
"This will be one of my continuing reference books for some time to come."
Steve Cunningham, PhD, Past President of SIGGRAPH
"An excellent resource for the users of ImageJ."
Wayne Rasband, author of ImageJ
This modern, self-contained, textbook explains the fundamental algorithms of digital image processing through practical examples and complete Java implementations. Available for the first time in English, Digital Image Processing is the definitive textbook for students, researchers, and professionals in search of critical analysis and modern implementations of the most important algorithms in the field.
• Practical examples and carefully constructed chapter-ending exercises drawn from the authors' years of experience teaching this material
• Real implementations, concise mathematical notation, and precise algorithmic descriptions designed for programmers and practitioners
• Easily adaptable Java code and completely worked out examples for easy inclusion in existing, and rapid prototyping of new, applications
• Self-contained chapters and additional online material suitable for a flexible one- or two- semester course
• Uses ImageJ, the image processing system developed, maintained, and freely distributed by the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH)
• A comprehensive Website (www.imagingbook.com) with complete Java source code, test images, and additional instructor materials
This comprehensive, reader-friendly introduction is ideal for foundation courses as well as eminently suitable for self-study.
Wilhelm Burger is the director of the Digital Media degree programs at the Upper Austria University of Applied Sciences at Hagenberg.
Mark J. Burge is a program director at the National Science Foundation (NSF) and a principal at Noblis (Mitretek) in Washington, D.C.
From the reviews:
a welcome resource.
The algorithm discussions do not depend on any toolkit, allowing ready translations to other environments, as I have found with OpenGL shaders.
Useful either as a reference or as a textbook ... a very accessible textbook in image processing, quite suitable for undergraduate courses Starts with very fundamental concepts of digital images and goes through quite sophisticated algorithms with sound mathematical basis ... providing a deeper understanding of the algorithms.
This will be one my continuing reference books for some time to come.
Steve Cunningham, PhD
Past SIGGRAPH President and Chair
An excellent resource, I highly recommend.
Wayne Rasband, Author of ImageJ, U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH)
"This modern, self-contained, textbook explains the fundamental algorithms of digital image processing through practical examples and complete Java implementations. Available for the first time in English, Digital Image Processing is the definitive textbook for students, researchers, and professionals in search of critical analysis and modern implementations of the most important algorithms in the field. … Self-contained chapters and additional online material suitable for a flexible one- or two semester course." (www.amazon.com, December 2007)
"This book teaches the basic algorithms used in image processing and implements many of these algorithms in ImageJ. … The book succeeds at showing the mathematics of each transform, of showing pseudocode for each algorithm, and implementing various algorithms in complete code. Each chapter has exercises for the student, and I found the textbook to be well illustrated and well written." (www.amazon.com, December 2007)
"This book is an introduction to image processing and analysis in the deeper sense, covering the structure of digital images … and the basic algorithms involved in image processing. It is intended for advanced undergraduates and graduate students, as well as computer professionals. … The text is accompanied by a number of images … as well as clear and well-designed diagrams where appropriate. Good exercises for each chapter are given." (Jeffrey Putnam, Computing Reviews, March, 2009)
- Bibliographic Information
- Book Title
- Digital Image Processing
- Book Subtitle
- An Algorithmic Introduction Using Java
- Wilhelm Burger
- Mark J. Burge
- Series Title
- Texts in Computer Science
- Springer-Verlag London
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag London
- eBook ISBN
- Series ISSN
- Edition Number
- Number of Pages
- XX, 565