- Full Description
We all know what a great tool Flash is for creating dynamic, engaging web content, and Adobe's CS4 release just makes it even better. Among the newer features is the ability to take all the power of Flash for the Web and put in on the desktop using AIR. AIR capability is built right into the Flash CS4 integrated development environment, which means you can start writing desktop applications right away.
This book not only covers the essentials of using Flash with AIR (and AIR with Flash), but also shows you how to extend application functionality in new ways. Once you've got Flash on the desktop, you're no longer constrained by the limitations of running inside a web browser. You'll have access to the local desktop file system, and AIR adds SQLite functionality for native database support. And just as Flash animations have a consistent look and feel across browsers, AIR allows you to create applications that work consistently across operating systemsMac OS X, Windows, and Linux.
For any Flash developer who wants to go from the Web to the desktop (and who doesn't?), this book is required reading. It not only tells you how to do it, but is full of practical, easy-to-follow examples that will have you building desktop AIR applications with Flash in no time. Expanding your existing Flash skills with the Essential Guide to Flash CS4 AIR Development will make you an even more potent and indispensable force on any development team!
What youll learn
- Embrace the Flash Platform and learn how to build desktop applications using the AIR software development kit alongside Flash CS4.
- Understand and use the ActionScript 3.0 AIR APIs.
- Create applications that interact with any operating system to create, read, and write local files.
- Write applications that can run both online and offline, automatically checking for Internet connectivity.
- Build AIR applications that communicate with a local SQLite database.
- Source Code/Downloads
Please Login to submit errata.No errata are currently published