- Full Description
Learn Java for Web Development teaches web developers who are new to Java to use key Java skills, Java-based languages, and frameworks to build simple or complex web sites and applications. As soon as you pick up this book, Vishal Layka's experience guides you on a very practical learning, then building, journey.
- First, you learn the Java nuts and bolts necessary to build a simple "HelloWorld" Java (native) application.
- Next, you learn to build a "HelloWorld" Java-based web application example that utilizes Servlets and JavaServer Pages (JSPs).
- Then you'll start the building blocks of your first real-world case study - a book store e-commerce application - by learning more about Servlets, JSPs, and adding JavaServer Faces (JSFs) and the Expressions found in each of these to the mix.
- Then you build your web application using Apache Struts2 and Spring MVC framework.
- The book finishes by exploring the web application that you've built and examining industry best practices and how these might fit with your application. Alternatively, you can explore the alternative Java "languages" and approaches available at the end of this book like Groovy/Grails and Scala/Lift.
Web development is still one of today's most popular, active, and important programming and development activities. From a single web page to an e-commerce-enabled web site to a fully-fledged web application, the Java programming language and its frameworks allow you great flexibility and productivity for your web application development.
While reading this book, you'll see all this in action and you can use it as a starting point. Study and experiment with the many source code examples, and later apply them to your own web application building endeavors and 2:00 AM challenges.
What youll learn
- How to build your first Java-based "HelloWorld" Web application with Servlets and JSPs
- How to build web applications with Expressions in Servlets and JSPs
- How to build web applications with JSFs and Expressions
- How to build web applications with the Struts2 APIs and framework
- How to build web applications with the Spring 3 Web MVC framework
- How to debug and deploy your web application along the way
- Using Java web application best practices
- How to build web applications with Java alternatives like Groovy and Grails and Scala
Who this book is for
This book is for current or aspiring web developers who have some programming experience, but have no or little prior experience using the Java programming language and the available frameworks for Java in web development.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents1. Introducing Java Web Development
2. Building Applications with Servlets and JSP
3. Best Practices in Java EE Web Development
4. Building Applications with Struts2
5. Building Applications with Spring Web MVC
6. Building Applications with JSF
7. Rapid Web Development with Grails
8. Play with Java and Scala
Appendix A. Introduction to Java
Appendix B. Introduction to Groovy
Appendix C. Introduction to Scala
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know about it. You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed.No errata are currently published