- Full Description
ASP.NET 4 is the principal standard for creating dynamic web pages on the Windows platform. Pro ASP.NET 4 in VB 2010 raises the bar for high-quality, practical advice on learning and deploying Microsoft's dynamic web solution.
This edition is updated with everything you need to come to grips with version 4 of ASP.NET, including coverage of ASP.NET MVC, ASP.NET AJAX 4, ASP.NET Dynamic Data, and Silverlight 3.
Seasoned .NET professionals Matthew MacDonald and Mario Szpuszta explain how you can get the most from these groundbreaking new technologies. They cover ASP.NET 4 as a whole, illustrating both the brand-new features and the functionality carried over from previous versions of ASP. This book will give you the knowledge you need to code real ASP.NET 4 applications in the best possible style.
What youll learn
- Understand why ASP.NET 4 is so special, what its fundamental principles are, the basics of Visual Studio, and how ASP.NET controls are created and how they fit into ASP.NET pages, ultimately creating full applications.
- Become familiar with ASP.NET MVC, one of the biggest additions to ASP.NET 4, and understand how to use it and integrate it within your existing ASP.NET applications.
- Discover the intricacies of ADO.NET and how to perform data binding to many sources, from databases to file streams to XML.
- Learn the various forms of security available and how to best apply them. Once considered the Achilles' heel of all Windows web applications, security has vastly improved and is now a cornerstone of ASP.NET 4.
- Understand how to work with web services, an important skill in an increasingly connected world.
- Use ASP.NET AJAX 4, with an emphasis on contemporary web development techniques.
- Perform development using Internet Information Services 7, Microsoft's premier web hosting platform.
Who this book is for
This book is for anyone with some software development experience who is interested in the .NET Framework 4 and theÂ VB language. Whether you are moving to .NET for the first time or are already writing applications on .NET 2.0 or .NET 3.5, this book will provide you with a comprehensive grounding in the new technology and serve as a complete reference throughout your coding career.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Introducing ASP.NET
- Visual Studio
- Web Forms
- Server Controls
- ASP.NET Applications
- State Management
- ADO.NET Fundamentals
- Data Components and the DataSet
- Data Binding
- Rich Data Controls
- Caching and Asynchronous Pages
- Files and Streams
- User Controls
- Themes and Master Pages
- Website Navigation
- Website Deployment
- The ASP.NET Security Model
- Forms Authentication
- Windows Authentication
- Authorization and Roles
- Custom Membership Providers
- Custom Server Controls
- Graphics, GDI+, and Charting
- ASP.NET AJAX
- Portals with Web Part PagesÂ Â
- Dynamic Data
- Source Code/Downloads
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know about it. You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed.On page 1115:Mention is made that "Design-Time Support" chapter from an earlier edition is available as a download but it is not included.Author Comment: