- Full Description
Get started in creating marketable apps for the burgeoning Android market. Begin your journey by learning the essentials of programming for phones and tables that are built around Google's wildly-successful Android platform. Beginning Android, Fifth Edition is fresh with details on the latest iteration of the Android 5 and earlier versions.
Google’s Android operating-system has taken the industry by storm, going from its humble beginnings as a smartphone operating system to its current status as a platform for apps that run across a gamut of devices from phones to tablets to netbooks to televisions, and the list is sure to grow. Smart developers are not sitting idly by in the stands, but are jumping into the game of creating innovative and salable applications for this fast-growing, mobile- and consumer-device platform. If you’re not in the game yet, now is your chance!
Begin at the beginning by installing the tools and compiling a skeleton app. Move through creating layouts, employing widgets, taking user input, and giving back results. Soon you’ll be creating innovative applications involving multi-touch, multi-tasking, and more! You’ll be drawing data live from the Internet using web services and delighting your customers with life-enhancing apps. Not since the PC era first began has there been this much opportunity for the common developer. What are you waiting for? Grab your copy of Beginning Android and get started!
What youll learn
- Develop Java-based mobile applications and games for a wide range of phones and devices.
- Create user interfaces using WebKit and the Android widget framework.
- Incorporate activities, services, content providers, and broadcast receivers into your applications.
- Support multiple Android versions, multiple screen sizes, and other device-specific characteristics.
- Build and experience the array of new WebM video and other multimedia APIs for Android and more.
Who this book is for
Beginning Android is aimed at programmers new to Android application development who desire to create marketable applications for the burgeoning market of smartphone, tablet, and other Android device users.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Part I: Get Android and Get Coding!
1. Welcome to Android
2. Ready, Set, Code!
3. Inside Your First Android Project
4. Changing and Improving Your Project
Part II: Activities and the User Interface
5. Layouts and UI Design
6. Android Widgets
7. Containers, Lists, and Adapters
8. Input Methods, Fonts, Menus, and Dialogs
9. The Action Bar
10. The Lifecycle of an Activity
III: A World of Wonderful Devices and Screens
11. Devices of All Sizes
12. Phone Calls!
13. Audio and Sound Support
14. Image and Video Handling
15. A Device of Devices
IV: Working with Resources and Services
16. Working with Files
17. Working with Local Databases
18. Working with Preferences
19. Controlling Security and Permissions
20. More Power from Java Libraries
21. Using External Libraries
22. Calling on Services
23. Generating Notifications
- Source Code/Downloads
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know by emailing to email@example.com . You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed. No errata are currently published