- Full Description
This book introduces novice developers to a range of data access strategies for storing and retreiving data both locally and remotely. It provides you with a range of fully working data access solutions and the insight you need to know when, and how, to apply each of the techniques to best advantage.
Focussing specifically on how the Windows 8 app developer can work with the Windows Runtime (often called Windows RT) framework this book provides careful analysis of the many options you have open to you, along with a comparision of their strengths and weaknesses under different conditions. With the days of a single database being the right choice for almost all development projects long gone. You will lean that the right choice for your app now depends on a variety of factors and getting it right will be critical to your customer's end user experience.
By the time you have read this book you will be familiar with the key data access considerations you will need to evaluate as you build you apps and you will be able to confidently select the data access architecture that is most appropriate to the app you want to build.
What youll learn
- Understand the data access capability of WinRT
- Explore the various data access strategies
- Understand local storage in Windows 8 Apps
- Discover how to use HTML5 indexedDB as an offline database
- Use SQLite and SQL Server with Windows 8 Apps
- Develop ASP.NET MVC 4 Web API data stores
- Learn how to consume data through a WCF Service
- Integrate your app with Public Web Services using REST
- See how SQL Azure can extend your Windows 8 Apps
Who this book is for
This book is for all the .NET, iOS, Android and Windows Phone app developers looking to develop data driven Windows 8 style apps. You should be comfortable with basic programming concepts and have worked with simple data stores previously.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Introducing Windows 8 development from a data perspective
- Windows 8 Modern app data access strategies
- Selecting the right strategy for your app
- Local Data Access I : JET API
- Local Data Access: II: IndexedDB
- Dealing with Application Data
- WCF RIA Services
- ASP.NET Web API
- SQL Databases
- Windows Phone 8 Data Access
- Source Code/Downloads
Please Login to submit errata.No errata are currently published