- Full Description
Beginning PHP and MySQL: From Novice to Professional, Fifth Edition is a major update of W. Jason Gilmore's authoritative book on PHP and MySQL. The latest edition includes detailed instructions for configuring the ultimate PHP and MySQL development environment on all major platforms, complete coverage of the latest additions and improvements to the PHP language, coverage of the Composer dependency manager, and thorough introductions to MySQL’s most relied-upon features.
You'll not only receive extensive introductions to the core features of PHP, MySQL, and related tools, but you'll also learn how to effectively integrate them in order to build robust data-driven applications. Authors Jason Gilmore and Massimo Nardone draw upon more than fifteen years of experience working with these technologies to pack this book with practical examples and insight into the real-world challenges faced by developers. Accordingly, you will repeatedly return to this book as both a valuable instructional tool and reference guide. Some of the book’s highlights include:
- Detailed instructions regarding installing PHP, MySQL and several popular web servers
- A thorough introduction to the PHP language, including its string handling, networking, forms processing, and object-oriented features
- An extensive overview of MySQL’s fundamental features, including supported data types, database management syntax, trigger, view, stored routine syntax, and import/export capabilities
- Hundreds of examples demonstrating countless facets of PHP and MySQL integration
What youll learn
- Configure a killer PHP and MySQL development environment for all major platforms, including Windows, OS X, and Linux.
- Understand the nuances of object-oriented programming through a comprehensive two chapter introduction to the topic and PHP’s associated features.
- Gain valuable insight into best practices by learning all about automated unit testing using PHPUnit and powerful MVC framework
- Effectively manage your MySQL data by choosing from one or several of the powerful graphical administration tools introduced in this book.
- Understand intermediate and advanced MySQL features such as stored procedures, triggers, and views.
Who this book is for
Beginning PHP and MySQL, Fifth Edition is for the reader seeking a comprehensive introduction to PHP, MySQL, and how to effectively use these two popular technologies together. Its for the reader who is struggling with configuring a proper development environment, and who is perhaps having a hard time grasping the finer points of object-oriented development. Beginning PHP and MySQL, Fifth Edition is an excellent choice for any reader who is in search of a friendly, thorough, and no-nonsense approach to ramping up their web development knowledge in a hurry.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
1. Introducing PHP
2. Configuring Your Environment
3. PHP Basics
6. Object-Oriented PHP
7. Advanced OOP Features
8. Error and Exception Handling
9. Strings and Regular Expressions
10. Working with the File and Operating System
12. Date and Time
14. Authenticating Your Users
15. Handling File Uploads
17. Session Handlers
18. Web Services
19. Secure PHP Programming
20. Integrating jQuery and PHP
21. MVC and the Laravel Framework
22. Introducing MySQL
23. Installing and Configuring MySQL
24. The Many MySQL Clients
25. MySQL Storage Engines and Datatypes
26. Securing MySQL
27. Using PHP with MySQL
28. Introducing PDO
29. Stored Routines
30. MySQL Triggers
31. MySQL Views
32. Practical Database Queries
33. Indexes and Searching
35. Importing and Exporting Data
- Source Code/Downloads
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org . You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed. No errata are currently published