- Full Description
Beginning Fedora Desktop: Fedora 18 Edition is a complete guide to using the Fedora 18 Desktop Linux release as your daily driver for mail, productivity, social networking, and more. Author and Linux expert Richard Petersen delves into the operating system as a whole and offers you a complete treatment of Fedora 18 Desktop installation, configuration, and use.
You'll discover how to install Fedora 18 Desktop on any hardware, learn which applications perform which functions, how to manage software updates, tips and tricks for the GNOME 3 and KDE desktops, useful shell commands, and both the Fedora administration and network tools.
Get the most out of Fedora 18 Desktop -- including free Office suites, editors, e-book readers, music and video applications and codecs, email clients, Web and FTP browsers, microblogging and IM applications -- with a copy of Beginning Fedora Desktop: Fedora 18 Edition at your side.
What youll learn
- how to install Fedora 18 Desktop on any hardware
- the available GUI choices, including KDE, GNOME, and alternative desktop environments
- how to use word processors, spreadsheets, presentation, and e-mail software
- how to maintain your system and back it up
- how to participate in social networks using open source clients
Who this book is for
Beginning Fedora Desktop: Fedora 18 Edition is for novice to intermediate users who are looking to install Fedora 18 as their primary computing environment.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Fedora 18 Introduction
- Installation and Upgrade
- Usage Basics: Login, Desktop, and Help
- Installing and Updating Software: YUM, PackageKit, and RPM
- Office Applications and Editors
- Graphics and Multimedia
- Mail (E-mail) and News
- Internet Applications: Web and FTP
- Social Networking: Microblogging, IM, VoIP, and Social Desktop
- GNOME 3
- The K Desktop Environment: KDE
- Additional Desktops
- Fedora System Tools
- System Administration
- Network Configuration
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know by emailing to email@example.com . You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed. No errata are currently published