- Full Description
Platform Embedded Security Technology Revealed is an in-depth introduction to Intel’s platform embedded solution: the security and management engine. The engine is shipped inside most Intel platforms for servers, personal computers, tablets, and smartphones. The engine realizes advanced security and management functionalities and protects applications’ secrets and users’ privacy in a secure, light-weight, and inexpensive way. Besides native built-in features, it allows third-party software vendors to develop applications that take advantage of the security infrastructures offered by the engine.
Intel’s security and management engine is technologically unique and significant, but is largely unknown to many members of the tech communities who could potentially benefit from it. Platform Embedded Security Technology Revealed reveals technical details of the engine. The engine provides a new way for the computer security industry to resolve critical problems resulting from booming mobile technologies, such as increasing threats against confidentiality and privacy. This book describes how this advanced level of protection is made possible by the engine, how it can improve users’ security experience, and how third-party vendors can make use of it.
It's written for computer security professionals and researchers; embedded system engineers; and software engineers and vendors who are interested in developing new security applications on top of Intel’s security and management engine.
It’s also written for advanced users who are interested in understanding how the security features of Intel’s platforms work.
What youll learn
- The cyber security challenges behind the creation of the embedded security and management engine, and the solutions it presents
- The pros and cons of enforcing security in the embedded engine
- Basic cryptography and security infrastructure of the engine
- Security-hardening features of the engine
- Handling dynamically loaded applications
- How anonymous authentication works with enhanced privacy protection
- Content protection at the hardware level
- Secure boot with a hardware root of trust
- Firmware-based TPM
- Identity protection with a hardware-based, one-time password
Who this book is for
Computer security professionals and researchers; embedded system engineers; software engineers and vendors who are interested in developing new security applications on top of Intel’s security and management engine; OEM (such as Lenovo, HP, etc.) marketing and R&D staff.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Cyber Security in the Mobile Age
- Intel’s Embedded Solutions: from Management to Security
- Building Blocks of the Security and Management Engine
- The Engine: Safeguarding Itself before Safeguarding Others
- Your Privacy at the Next Level with Intel's Enhanced Privacy Identification (EPID) Technology
- Boot with Integrity, or Don’t Boot
- Trust Computing, Backed by Intel's Firmware-Based TPM
- Unleashing Premium Entertainment with Hardware-Based Content Protection Technology
- Breaking the Boundaries with Dynamically Loaded Applications
- Intel Identity Protection Technology: the Robust, Convenient, and Cost-Effective Way to Deter Identity Theft
- Looking Ahead: Tomorrow's Innovations Built on Today's Foundation
Please Login to submit errata.No errata are currently published