- Full Description
Are you a Java programmer looking for a new challenge and money-making opportunity? If so, Beginning BlackBerry Development may just be the book for you. This book will teach you everything you need to know to start developing apps that run on the BlackBerry family of devices and smartphones. With over 50 million BlackBerry devices sold and the launch of the new BlackBerry App World, there has never been a more exciting time to get into BlackBerry application development.
Assuming only some programming background in Java or a similar language, this book starts with the basics, offering step-by-step tutorials that take you through downloading and installing the BlackBerry development environment, creating your first apps, and exploring the BlackBerry APIs.
Youll learn how to use the BlackBerry user interface components to create the look and feel you want; how to use networking to create applications that can talk to servers anywhere on the internet; how to manage application lifecycle and data storage; and how to use the GPS and mapping functionality included on many devices to create location-aware applications.
Youll also learn about the different ways you can package and distribute your apps, from deploying apps on your own website to listing your apps for sale on BlackBerry App World.
What youll learn
- Complete BlackBerry native application development
- How to work with the BlackBerry Java Development Environment (JDE) and the JDE Plug-in for Eclipse
- How to debug your apps, and deploy onto real devices
- How to work with networking, GPS and maps, and persistent storage
- How to work with and customize the BlackBerry UI
- Ways to distribute your apps, from hosting on your own website to listing on BlackBerry App World
Who this book is for
Software developers who have little or no experience with BlackBerry development and are interested in developing native applications or apps for BlackBerry. Ideally, youll have some background in Java or a similar language.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Setting the Stage
- Hello World
- What Makes a BlackBerry Application?
- User Interface Basics
- Beyond the Basics of User Interfaces
- Storing Data
- Hello Out There! Making a Network-Enabled Application
- Where Am I? Using Location-Based Services
- Getting Your App Out There: Packaging and Publishing
- Next Steps
- Source Code/Downloads
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know about it. You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed.No errata are currently published