- Full Description
This book gathers chapters from some of the top international empirical software engineering researchers focusing on the practical knowledge necessary for conducting, reporting and using empirical methods in software engineering. Topics and features include: - Guidance on how to design, conduct and report empirical studies; - Information across a range of techniques, methods and qualitative and quantitative issues, to help build a toolkit that can be applicable to the diversity of software development contexts that exist; - Material with concrete software engineering examples. Organised into 4 parts; the first 2 parts describe techniques usable for data collection and analysis. The third provides techniques for constructing a 'body of knowledge' out of individual studies, and a final section tackles topics related to empirical study. Written for graduates as well as researchers and practising software engineers interested in empirical methods, this book will prove an invaluable reference.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Editors Introduction.
- Section 1: Research Methods and Techniques.
- Software engineering data collection techniques in the field.
- Qualitative Methods.
- Personal Opinion Surveys.
- The Focus Group Method as an Empirical Tool in Software Engineering.
- Simulation Methods.
- Section 2: Practical Foundations.
- Statistical Methods and Measurement.
- Missing data in software engineering.
- Reporting Experiments in Software Engineering.
- A practical guide to ethical research involving humans.
- The Management of University
- Industry Collaborations Involving Empirical Studies of Software Engineering.
- Section 3: Knowledge Creation.
- Selecting Empirical Methods for Software Engineering Research.
- Building Theories in Software Engineering.
- Building Theories from Multiple Evidence Sources.
- Replication's Role in Software Engineering.
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org . You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed. No errata are currently published