- Full Description
Middleware is a critical foundation needed to leverage the development of a wide range of mobile and ubiquitous applications. Intrinsic challenges when building such middleware require the combination of expertise from areas like distributed systems, networking, software engineering, and application development. This textbook provides a comprehensive introduction to the main fundamental problems, technologies, paradigms, and solutions of concern to developers of middleware for mobile environments. The contributions are grouped into four parts, on networking and programming issues, communication models, middleware issues, and application issues. Each chapter is structured as a self-contained tutorial, presenting an overview of a specific topic and the state-of-the-art solutions for the related problems. In addition, the book also includes an authoritative reference list. The material has been successfully used in several thematic training schools organized by the ESF MiNEMA (Middleware for Network Eccentric and Mobile Applications) program, and the book's organization and presentation is ideal for an advanced course on middleware.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Preface (B. Garbinato, H. Miranda, and L. Rodrigues).
- Part I Networking and Programming Issues: 1) Energy in Wireless Sensor Networks (R.A.F. Mini, A.A.F. Loureiro)
- 2) Programming Wireless Sensor Networks (L. Lopes, F. Martins, J. Barros)
- 3) Mobility Models for Systems Evaluation (M. Musolesi, C. Mascolo)
- 4) Ad Hoc Routing (F. Araujo, H. Miranda).
- Part II Communication Models: 5) An Introduction to Population Protocols (J. Aspnes, E. Ruppert)
- 6) Routing Issues in Opportunistic Networks (M. Conti, J. Crowcroft, et. al.)
- 7) Wireless Mesh Networks (J. Ishmael, N. Race).
- Part III Middleware Issues: 8) Gossip
- Based Dissemination (R. Friedman, A.
- M. Kermarrec, et. al.)
- 9) Application Layer Multicast (M. Allani, B. Garbinato, F. Pedone)
- 10) Distributed Event Routing in Publish/Subscribe Systems (R. Baldoni, L. Querzoni, et. al.)
- 11) Tuple Space Middleware for Wireless Networks (P. Costa, L. Mottola, et. al.)
- 12) Security Middleware for Mobile Applications (B. De Win, T. Goovaerts, et. al.)
- 13) Dynamic Adaption (P. Grace).
- Part IV Applicative Issues: 14) Middleware Support for Context
- Aware Applications (P.Th. Eugster, B. Garbinato, A. Holzer)
- 15) Autoconfiguration and Service Discovery (J. Manner)
- 16) Dynamic Rsource Management and Cyber Foraging (J. Porras, O. Riva, M.D. Kristensen)
- 17) Vehicular Networks and Applications (A. Senart, M. Bouroche, et. al.).
Please Login to submit errata.No errata are currently published