- Full Description
How is it that one system is more effective, appealing, satisfying and/or more beautiful than another to its stakeholder community? This question drove Christopher Alexander’s fifty-year quest to explain great physical architecture and gave birth to pattern-languages for building that underpin much of modern systems engineering. How is it that so many individual stakeholders consistently recognize the same quality, the same beauty in a system? This question led George Lakoff to research the role of conceptual metaphor in human understanding. What is essential to stakeholders’ satisfaction with systems? Fred Brooks, in his publications, addressed this question. This monograph fuses these diverse streams of thought in proposing Thriving Systems Theory by translating Alexander’s properties of physical design quality into the abstract domain of information systems and modeling. Metaphor-Driven Modeling incorporates the theory while examining its impact throughout the system life cycle: modeling, design and deployment. The result is holistic and innovative, a perspective on system quality invaluable to students, practitioners and researchers of software and systems engineering.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Part One
- Thriving Systems Theory.
- 1. Christopher Alexander’s Nature Of Order.
- 2. Wholeness And Center Properties Mapped To Modeling.
- 3. Achieving Vs Observing Strength In Choice Properties.
- 4. Building Life Into Information Systems.
- 5. A Vision Of Thriving Systems.
- Part Two
- Thriving Systems Theory In Systems Development.
- 6. Metaphorology.
- 7. Metaphor
- Driven Modeling.
- 8. Protecting Life In System Life Cycles.
- 9. Metaphor
- Driven Systems Engineering.
- 10. Thriving Systems And Beauty.
- 11. Promoting Life Using The Object oriented Paradigm.
- 12. Promoting Life Using The Relational Paradigm.
- 13. Thriving Systems Through Metaphor
- driven Modeling.
- Index Of Terms.
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know by emailing to email@example.com . You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed. No errata are currently published