- Full Description
Media Space: 20+ Years of Mediated Life is loosely divided into three different, but interconnected, approaches to media space research. Each part opens with an introduction that lays out how readers can best approach the book, and provides a basic guide to the theory and research literature, technological developments and other notable events to help contextualize the book. The ‘social ‘ approach uses the rhetoric and methods familiar to a CSCW audience, but moves into actual situations that involve close working bonds, broken trust, shared joy, community building, interpersonal tension, anxiety etc. The section on ‘spatial’ approaches guides the reader through an intellectual landscape of spatiality, the ‘communications’ part is a field guide to sense-making in the as-lived mediated condition, demonstrating that media space sense-making combines an understanding of in-the-moment alongside sense made of existence in the world and reflecting upon it.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- From the contents An Introduction to Media Space.
- A Brief History of Media Space Research and Mediated Life.
- Section 1
- The Social Space.
- Creating Assemblies in Media Space.
- From Media Spaces in Emplaced Media.
- Social Catalysts for Creating Sociable Media Spaces.
- Privacy Factors in Video
- Based Media Spaces.
- Affect and Dyads: Conflict Across Different Technological Media.
- Watcher and the Watched: Social Judgements about Privacy in a Public Place.
- Section 2 –The Space of Media Space.
- Constructing Space.
- Mediaspace – Meaningspace – Meetingspace.
- Media Space After 20 Years.
- Section 3
- Bringing Media Spaces Back to the Streets.
- Media Space and Mobile Video Telephony.
- Video Conferencing and Connected Rooms.
- The Halo B2B Studio.
- Presence in Video Mediated Interactions.
- Build it – will they come.
- Section 4 – Where Are We.
- Fast Forward: Applying Media Space Experiences to Current Technologies.
- Reflecting on Several Metaphors of MUD
- based Media Spaces.
- Making Contact.
- About the Authors
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know by emailing to email@example.com . You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed. No errata are currently published