- Full Description
Building on your knowledge of how to write basic applications, Pro iOS 5 Tools: Xcode, Instruments and Build Tools shows how to take your apps from promising to real, and from good to great, by using numerous performance and debugging techniques and tools found in Xcode, Apple's Integrated Development Environment (IDE), Interface Builder and more.
You will start by studying an alpha-stage iOS app and learning how you can use the tools provided in the iOS developers toolbox, plus popular third-party tools, to take an app to a final product and ready to ship. Your own app development will never be the same again!
- Learn the tools available to all iOS developers: Xcode, Instruments, network diagnostic tools and version control
- Techniques for debugging by using Instruments, as well as the new features available in newest version of Xcode
- Performance tuning techniques and workflow enhancements
What youll learn
- How to set up a bare-bones shopping cart app; from creating a new project to using a distributed version control system for setting up the environment using Xcode, Interface Builder and other Apple developer tools.
- How to work your way through an app and tune the user interface for performance
- How to diagnose and address memory issues, leaks and dealing with intermittent crashes
- How to deal with networking issues and reliably recreate or simulate these environments
- How to address multitasking, behind the scenes power drains, and reduce/optimize power usage from the radio and other power draining features in iOS devices
- How to distribute your app to beta testers, prepare for the App Store and speed up development time by learning shortcuts and other enhancements to developer tools
Who this book is for
This book is for iOS developers looking to fully utilize iOS 5 tools like Xcode, Interface Builder and more, making their apps development faster and more efficient.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Wax On, Wax Off
- First-Class Tools: Xcode, Interface Builder and More
- Three Screens and...Well, It Runs
- Memory Management and Diagnostics
- Core Animation and Smooth Scrolling
- Networking, Cache, and Power Management
- Prepare the Beta!
- Why Are Things Breaking?
- Can We Automate Some of This?
- Now, They Want an iPad Version
- How Do I Share Some of This?
- One More Thing
- Source Code/Downloads
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know about it. You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed.On page (kindle) page 8 of 367:
You say "we're going to create a Navigation-based Application. Select that option" (right below figure 2-1) but that option is not available anymore! If I choose Page-Based Application (which is closest) there is no option to start with Data Model. And implementing it by hand gave me all sorts of weird bugs. Could not build and run the app anymore. Please give me a workable alternative.
On page 75:
The code for imageReceived:forRequest shown on page 75 is nothing like the code in the provided source code.