- Full Description
Mac OS X Snow Leopard for Power Users: Advanced Capabilities and Techniques is for Mac OS X users who want to go beyond the obvious, the standard, and the easy. If want to dig deeper into Mac OS X and maximize your skills and productivity using the worlds slickest and most elegant operating system, then this is the book for you.
Written by Scott Granneman, an experienced teacher, developer, and consultant, Mac OS X for Power Users helps you push Mac OS X to the max, unveiling advanced techniques and options that you may have not known even existed. Create custom workflows and apps with Automator, run Windows programs and even Windows itself without dual-booting, and sync data on your hard drive, on your phone, and in the cloudlearn all of these techniques and more.
This is not a book that talks down to you; Mac OS X for Power Users is an essential book for experienced Mac users who are smart enough to know there is more to be known, and are ready to become power users.
What youll learn
- How to create your own custom workflows, apps, and services with one of Mac OS Xs hidden gems: Automator.
- How to share an external USB hard drive with a Windows and Linux users and mount a network drive using SSH
- How to run Windowsor even Linuxwhile youíre still running Mac OS X, without dual-booting. Even run the three major operating systemsMac OS X, Windows, and Linuxat the same time!
- How to customize Safari to make it even better than it already is.
- All about browser optionsChrome, Opera, Camino, Stainless, and Arora.
- How to manage data on your hardrive, on your phone, and in the cloud, with almost instantaneous syncing.
- How to protect yourself and your valuable data. Find out lots of great, useful info on firewalls, encryption, passwords, backup, and more.
Who this book is for
This book is for people who already know how to use their Macs but want to go beyond that. They want to be more efficient and productive, and theyre not afraid to try new techniques and software to do so. They also realize how valuable their data is, and they want to protect it in the smartest ways possible.
This book is also perfect for anyone who administers a group of Macs, because they will find lots of useful methods for managing their machines and also helping them work together.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Introduction: Advanced Secrets of Mac OS X
- Maintaining Your Mac
- Expanding Upon the Basic Tools
- Using Safari to Its Fullest
- Stepping Beyond Safari
- Using the Internet to Its Fullest
- Securing Your Mac & Networks
- Backing Up Your Mac
- Manipulating and Sharing Pictures
- Having More Fun With Audio & Video
- Key Utility Tools for Text & Archives
- Digging Deep as an Admin
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know about it. You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed.No errata are currently published