- Full Description
In the years following the financial crisis, individual investors, angry with Wall Street and disappointed by the performance of their so-called "expert" brokers, transferred a total of $400 billion out of full-service investment management firms and deposited it into self-directed accounts at online brokers. But once they made sure that their money was out of the hands of the "professionals" and the obligation to direct their investments was squarely on their shoulders, many individual investorsespecially the novicesrealized that they weren't quite sure where to begin. Fueled by anxiety about where to put their money, they found themselves asking, "What do I do now? When do I buy? When do I sell?"
Until recently, these individual self-directed investors had little means of answering the myriad of questions that arose when they decided to take their financial future into their own hands. But now, thanks to Marc Chaikin, creator of the first real-time analytics workstation for portfolio managers and stock traders, individual investors everywhere can start picking stocks like the pros, even if they don't have an MBA or a Wall Street pedigree. All they need is The DIY Investor, which introduces readers to Chaikin Power Tools, a dynamic suite of sophisticated investment decision-making tools previously available only to Wall Street professionals.
At the outset of the book, Chaikin invites readers to download the Chaikin Power Tools suite free of charge as an iPhone or Android app, desktop widget, or web widget, and then he methodically guides them through the process of leveraging this stock-picking model for investment success. Designed for newcomers to the stock market yet still valuable to those with a substantial amount of investing experience, The DIY Investor teaches readers:
- How technology, stock discovery, self-reliance, and 24/7 access to actionable information via their mobile devices and tablets can help them gain an edge in the stock market;
- The various factors that Chaikin Power Tools and the suite's centerpiece, the Chaikin Power Gauge, use to evaluate a stock, including financial metrics, earnings performance, price/volume activity, and expert opinions;
- A disciplined, step-by-step methodology to simplifying buy and sell decisions, and;
- How to consistently find the winners and drop the losers from their portfolios.
What youll learnAfter reading this book, you will be able to:
- Walk away from your broker and begin successfully managing your portfolio on your own
- Eliminate the stress/uncertainty that can accompany a self-directed investment strategy
- Generate consistent profits in the stock market by following a rational, disciplined approach to stock selection and portfolio monitoring
- Identify situations where, despite a stock's strong fundamentals, market forces are moving against it
- Avoid falling prey to information overload by homing in on the reports, information, and news that truly matter
- Leverage the Chaikin Power Tools suite to maximize your investment performance
Who this book is for
This book will appeal to the more than 40 million individual investors with self-directed online brokerage accounts, as well as those individuals who are thinking about leaving behind their investment management firm to begin managing their own investments. A secondary, though still strong, audience are the millions upon millions of 401(k) plan participants that want a better understanding of the dynamics that drive the performance of their portfolios.
- Table of Contents
Table of ContentsIntroductionChapter 1. A Rational Framework for InvestingChapter 2. The ABCs of Stock SelectionChapter 3. Chaikin Power ToolsChapter 4. The Chaikin Power Tools Power Gauge RatingChapter 5. Chaikin Research ReportsChapter 6. A Program for Managing Your Own InvestmentsChapter 7. ExercisesChapter 8. My Investment PhilosophyChapter 9. Real-World Examples of Chaikin Power Tools in PracticeConclusion
Please Login to submit errata.No errata are currently published