- Full Description
Every day, customers see the results of companies where fiefdoms have formed and silos create divisional or departmental strife: poor sales and profits, and lackluster products. Its not hard to see that such companies are headed for an early grave.
Regardless of the manner in which company fractures manifest themselves, tech leaders must find a way to rid their workplaces of the divisions that threaten to undermine their companys productivity, profits, and survival. Thats why, in Unite the Tribes: Leadership Skills for Technology Managers, Christopher Duncan, bestselling author of The Career Programmer, provides corporate leaders with a ten-point plan for joining their companys divided ranks together in a way that helps employees achieve their goals while also accomplishing those of the company.
Using the metaphors of the company as empire and the groups that form within companies as tribes, Duncan explains that the formation of tribes within an empire is unavoidable. After all, regardless of the situation in which they find themselves, human beings are social creatures who align themselves with those whose goals and motivations match their own. Thats why the accountants hang together in the break room, while developers talk shop and geek culture in a watering hole down the street. Yet the job of leaders is to build a cohesive, powerful, and enduring empire by bringing all groups together in service to a shared, inspiring mission. And that goes double for tech companies, where breakthroughs create new landscapes on a daily basis. In Unite the Tribes, you will learn:
- How to build alliances and a spirit of unity across all levels of the company to achieve higher employee morale, greater profits, and increased productivity.
- How to come up with strategies that win market share as well as the hearts and minds of your employees. How to manage conflict.
- Why self-interest rules the day and how knowing anothers wants and needs helps you achieve goals of your own.
What youll learnReaders of Unite the Tribes will learn:
- Practical, down-to-earth approaches to problem solving and productivity that make sense to corporate leaders who have to do real work in the real world.
- How to arrive at a plan for uniting the disparate groups that operate within their company when faced with the daily reality of office politics, maneuvering, ambition, incompetence, and short-term thinking.
- How to convey the company's purpose to employees in a way that is realistic and meaningful so that all workers can contribute to the company's greater good.
Who this book is for
Those serving in leadership or managerial capacities (i.e., those overseeing one or more employees) at technology companies plagued with division and dysfunction will find the solutions they need to rally their employees to join forces in Unite the Tribes. In addition, leaders and managers of companies whose cohesion is still healthy yet is being threatened with fracture will be provided with real-world strategies for reinforcing the glue that holds their company together in this practical, applications-driven guide.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- The Myth of Absolute Power
- Building the Future
- A Lasting Empire
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org . You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed. No errata are currently published