- Full Description
Pro JPA 2, Second Edition introduces, explains, and demonstrates how to use the new Java Persistence API (JPA) 2.1 from the perspective of one of the specification creators. A one-of-a-kind resource, it provides both theoretical and extremely practical coverage of JPA usage for both beginning and advanced developers.
Authors Mike Keith and Merrick Schincariol take a handson approach, based on their wealth of experience and expertise, by giving examples to illustrate each concept of the API and showing how it is used in practice. The examples use a common model from an overriding sample application, giving readers a context from which to start and helping them to understand the examples within an already familiar domain. After completing the book, you will have a full understanding of JPA and be able to successfully code applications using its annotations and APIs. The book also serves as an excellent reference guide during initial and later JPA application experiences.
- Hands-on examples for all aspects of the JPA specification
- Expert insight about various aspects of the API and when they are useful
- Portability hints to provide increased awareness of the potential for nonportable JPA code
What youll learn
- How to get started with enterprise applications using JPA 2.1
- Simple and advanced objectrelational mapping techiques
- How to use the complete Entity Manager API
- How to create queries using the query language (JP QL) and the Criteria API
- Locking, concurrency, and other advanced concepts
- How to use XML mapping files and descriptors
- How to package and deploy your Java Persistence applications
- How to test your Java Persistence applications
Who this book is for
The book generally targets enterprise and persistence developers who fall in one of three categories:
- Those who are new to persistence; we will offer an introduction to persistence and to the basic concepts so these readers can have solid base from which to become proficient at JPA.
- Those who know and/or use existing ORM persistence products such as Hibernate or TopLink/EclipseLink.
- Those who have already used JPA and want to learn about newer features introduced by JPA 2.1, or have a good reference book to consult when they develop JPA applications.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Getting Started
- Enterprise Applications
- Object Relational Mapping
- Collection Mapping
- Entity Manager
- Using Queries
- Java Persistence Query Language
- Advanced Object Relational Mapping
- Advanced Queries
- Advanced Topics
- XML Mapping Files
- Packaging and Deployment
- Source Code/Downloads
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org . You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed. No errata are currently published