- Full Description
Pro Android 2 shows how to build real-world and fun mobile applications using Googles latest Android software development kit. This new edition is updated for Android 2, covering everything from the fundamentals of building applications for embedded devices to advanced concepts such as custom 3D components, OpenGL, and touchscreens including gestures. While other Android development guides simply discuss topics, Pro Android 2 offers the combination of expert insight and real sample applications that work.
- Discover the design and architecture of the Android SDK through practical examples, and how to build mobile applications using the Android SDK.
- Explore and use the Android APIs, including those for media and Wi-Fi.
- Learn about Android 2s integrated local and web search, handwriting gesture UI, Google Translate, and text-to-speech features.
Pro Android 2 dives deep, providing you with all the knowledge and techniques you need to build mobile applications ranging from games to Google apps, including add-ons to Google Docs. Youll be able to extend and run the new Google Chrome APIs on the G1, the G2, and other next-generation Google phones and Android-enabled devices.
What youll learn
- How to use Android to build Java-based mobile applications for Google phones with a touch screen or keyboard (thanks to Cupcakes inclusion as of Android 1.5)
- How to design and architect using Googles latest Android SDK
- How to use the Android SDK to write mobile applications for embedded devices
- How to create 3D graphics with OpenGL and custom components
- How to build multimedia and game apps using Androids Media APIs and OpenGL
- How to use Androids location-based services, networking (Wi-Fi APIs), and security
- How to create and allow for more integrated local and web searches
- How to build handwriting gesture UIs
- How to incorporate Google Translate into your Android applications
Who this book is for
This book is for professional software engineers/programmers looking to move their ideas and applications into the mobile space with Android. It assumes that readers have a passable understanding of Java, including being able to write classes and handle basic inheritance structures. This book also targets hobbyists.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Introducing the Android Computing Platform
- Getting Your Feet Wet
- Using Resources, Content Providers, and Intents
- Building User Interfaces and Using Controls
- Working with Menus and Dialogs
- Unveiling 2D Animation
- Exploring Security and Location-Based Services
- Building and Consuming Services
- Using the Media Framework and Telephony APIs
- Programming 3D Graphics with OpenGL
- Managing and Organizing Preferences
- Exploring Live Folders
- Home Screen Widgets
- Android Search
- Exploring Text to Speech and Translate APIs
- Titanium Mobile: A WebKit-Based Approach to Android Development
- Working with Android Market
- Outlook and Resources
- Source Code/Downloads
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know about it. You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed.On page 91:Last line of code:
> queryBuilder.appendWhere(Notes._ID + "=" + );
noteId was omitted.
On page 291/292:Listing 8-3: