- Full Description
Beginning Ubuntu Linux, Fourth Edition is the update to the bestselling book on Ubuntu, todays hottest Linux distribution. Targeting newcomers to Linux and to the Ubuntu distribution alike, readers are presented with an introduction to the world of Linux and open source community, followed by a detailed overview of Ubuntus installation and configuration process. From there readers learn how to wield total control over their newly installed operating system, and are guided through common tasks such as writing documents, listening to audio CDs and MP3s, watching movies, using VoIP and chat, and of course general system maintenance matters.
Additionally, theres a series of comprehensive tutorials on Linux internals and the commandline promptessential for any Linux userand the book includes special sections on optimization, security, and system maintenance.
The book comes with a DVD containing the complete Ubuntu Linux distribution. All you need to do is insert the DVD and follow the instructions in the book to install this distribution.
- The ultimate guide to Ubuntu, the hottest Linux distribution on the planet.
- Forgoes introductions to esoteric Linux topics so commonly found in other books and instead focuses on everyday tasks for everyday users: printer and file sharing configuration, office document management, and listening to MP3s and watching movies among them.
What youll learn
- Use Ubuntu as a daily desktop replacement.
- Complete all manner of office tasks, such as creating Microsoft Officecompatible documents and spreadsheets, using email, and managing contacts.
- Listen to MP3s and CDs, and watch movies using a userfriendly Linux desktop.
- Configure Ubuntus printer and filesharing features to share resources seamlessly with other computers on your network.
- Become a proficient user of the Linux command line.
Who this book is for
Beginning Linux users seeking to explore the popular Ubuntu distribution.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- A History and Politics Lesson
- The Realities of Running Linux
- Preinstallation Steps
- Installing Ubuntu
- Solving Installation Problems
- Booting Ubuntu for the First Time
- Getting Everything Up and Running
- How to Secure Your Computer
- Personalizing Ubuntu: Getting Everything Just Right
- Ubuntu Replacements for Windows Programs
- Managing Your Files
- Introducing the BASH Shell
- Understanding Linux Files and Users
- Working with Text Files
- Taking Control of the System
- Cool Shell Tricks
- Digital Audio
- Movies and Multimedia
- Digital Photos
- Making the Move to OpenOffice.org
- OpenOffice.org Overview
- In Depth: Writer
- In Depth: Calc
- In Depth: Impress
- In Depth: Base
- In Depth: Evolution
- Installing and Removing Software
- Managing Users
- Optimizing Your System
- Backing Up Data
- Scheduling Tasks
- Accessing Computers Remotely
Please Login to submit errata.No errata are currently published