- Full Description
The vibrant and rich Android development platform, created by Google and the Open Handset Alliance, continues to be a platform in its truest sense, encompassing hundreds of classes beyond the traditional Java classes and open source components that ship with the software development kit. Android's continued growth includes support for Flash and Flash gaming apps, Wi-Fi tethering, improved performance, WebM or WebMedia integration for HTML5-based video and other multimedia APIs, Chrome OS (WebOS) integration, and more.
With Beginning Android 3, youll learn how to develop applications for Android 3 mobile devices using simple examples that are ready to run with your copy of the software development kit. Author, Android columnist, developer, and community advocate Mark L. Murphy will show you what you need to know to get started programming Android applications, including how to craft graphical user interfaces, use GPS, multi-touch, multi-tasking, and access web services.
What youll learn
- Discover Android and how to use it to build Java-based mobile applications for a wide range of phones and devices.
- Create user interfaces using both the Android widget framework and the built-in WebKit-powered Web browser components.
- Utilize the distinctive capabilities of the Android engine, including location tracking, maps, and Internet access.
- Use and create Android applications incorporating activities, services, content providers, and broadcast receivers.
- Support Android 3 and earlier devices, including dealing with multiple Android OS versions, multiple screen sizes, and other device-specific characteristics.
- Create Flash game and other apps on Android.
- Build and experience the array of new WebM video and other multimedia APIs for Android and more.
Who this book is for
This book is aimed at people new to mobile development.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- The Big Picture
- How to Get Started
- Your First Android Project
- Examining Your First Project
- A Bit About Eclipse
- Enhancing Your First Project
- Rewriting Your First Project
- Using XML-Based Layouts
- Employing Basic Widgets
- Working with Containers
- The Input Method Framework
- Using Selection Widgets
- Getting Fancy with Lists
- Still More Widgets and Containers
- Embedding The WebKit Browser
- Applying Menus
- Showing Pop-up Messages
- Handling Activity Lifecycle Events
- Handling Rotation
- Dealing with Threads
- Creating Intent Filters
- Launching Activities and Sub-Activities
- Working with Resources
- Defining and Using Styles
- Handling Multiple Screen Sizes
- Introducing the Honeycomb UI
- Using the Action Bar
- Handling Platform Changes
- Accessing Files
- Using Preferences
- Managing and Accessing Local Databases
- Leveraging Java Libraries
- Communicating via the Internet
- Services: The Theory
- Basic Service Patterns
- Alerting Users via Notifications
- Requesting and Requiring Permissions
- Accessing Location-Based Services
- Mapping with MapView and MapActivity
- Handling Telephone Calls
- More Development Tools
- The Role of Alternative Environments
- Other Alternative Environments
- Dealing with Devices
- Where Do We Go from Here?
- Source Code/Downloads
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know about it. You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed.On page Source:I just bought this book, where can I download the source code?Author Comment:
On page 81:
Error is in the project name "ch04.Asteroids"
Errors are below as in the Logcat:-
11-29 16:53:26.503: E/AndroidRuntime(909): FATAL EXCEPTION: Timer-4
11-29 16:53:26.503: E/AndroidRuntime(909): java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
11-29 16:53:26.503: E/AndroidRuntime(909): at ch04.common.Polygon.addPoint(Polygon.java:72)
11-29 16:53:26.503: E/AndroidRuntime(909): at ch04.game.PolygonSprite.render(PolygonSprite.java:55)
11-29 16:53:26.503: E/AndroidRuntime(909): at ch04.game.Asteroids.updateAsteroids(Asteroids.java:859)
11-29 16:53:26.503: E/AndroidRuntime(909): at ch04.game.Asteroids.updatePhysics(Asteroids.java:1210)
11-29 16:53:26.503: E/AndroidRuntime(909): at ch04.game.ArcadeGame$UpdateTask.run(ArcadeGame.java:132)
11-29 16:53:26.503: E/AndroidRuntime(909): at java.util.Timer$TimerImpl.run(Timer.java:289)
On page 119-120:wrong source code for res/layout/row.xml in FancyLists/Static project, should be:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
On page 300:The import android.support cannot be resolved.
This occurs in every class that uses ACL: DetailFragment, DetaisActivity and EU4You_6
I'm using Eclipse and Android Compatibility package, revison 3