- Full Description
Beginning Ubuntu Linux, the awardwinning and bestselling Ubuntu book for beginners, is now in its third edition, presenting readers with an uptotheminute introduction to the world of Linux and the open source community. A detailed overview of Ubuntus installation and configuration process encourages you to take the plunge and switch to Linux, and from there youll learn how to wield total control over your newly installed operating system. Guided through the most commonly desired tasks such as printer configuration, listening to audio CDs and MP3s, watching movies, performing office and Internetrelated tasks, as well as general system maintenance matters, authors Keir Thomas and Jaime Sicam will soon have you using and enjoying Ubuntu Linux and never looking back.
Youll also find a series of comprehensive tutorials on Linux internals and the commandline promptessential for any Linux useralong with special sections on optimization, security, and system maintenance that will broaden your knowledge to professional level.
The complete Ubuntu Linux distribution is included free on the DVD inside the book. Simply insert the DVD and follow the instructions in the book to install Ubuntu Linux!
- The ultimate guide to Ubuntu, the hottest Linux distribution on the planet
- Avoids introductions to esoteric Linux topics that are commonly found in other books and focuses on everyday tasks for everyday users: printer and file sharing configuration, office document management, listening to MP3s, watching movies, and much more
- Includes a DVD containing not only the complete Ubuntu version, but also versions of Ubuntus sister projects, including Edubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu
What youll learn
- Use Ubuntu as a daily desktop replacement
- Complete all manner of office tasks, such as creating Microsoft Officecompatible documents and spreadsheets, using email, and managing contacts
- Listen to MP3s and CDs, and watch movies using userfriendly Linux desktop applications
- Configure Ubuntus printer and filesharing features to share resources seamlessly with other computers on your network
- Become a proficient user of the Linux command line
Who this book is for
Beginning Linux users seeking to explore the popular Ubuntu distribution.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Source Code/Downloads
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know by emailing to email@example.com . You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed. No errata are currently published