- Full Description
Android Essentials is a nofrills, nononsense, codecentric run through the guts of application development on Googles Mobile OS. This book uses the development of a sample application to work through topics, focusing on giving developers the essential tools and examples required to make viable commercial applications work. Covering the entirety of the Android catalog in less than 150 pages is simply impossible. Instead, this book focuses on just four main topics: the application life cycle and OS integration, user interface, locationbased services, and networking.
- Thorough, complete, and useful work on the nuts and bolts of application development in Android
- Example driven and practically minded
- A tool for hobbyists and professionals who want to create productionquality applications
What youll learn
- Understand how an Android application functions and communicates with the handset that hosts it.
- Comprehend the complexities of timers, services, and multimedia playback.
- Create and display a rich mix of customrendered screens and tailored Android widgets.
- Understand how locationbased services are becoming more and more important in the mobile world.
- See how to use Googles powerful Map tool.
- Explore the intricacies of network connectivity in the mobile world.
Who this book is for
This book is for professional software engineers looking to move their ideas and applications into the mobile space with Android. The author assumes the reader has a passable understanding of Java. They should be able to write classes and handle basic inheritance structures. This book also targets hobbyist developers looking to negotiate the complex minefield of mobile software.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- The Application
- User Interface
- Location, Location, Location
- Taking Android Out for a Walk
- Tying on a Bow
- Source Code/Downloads
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know about it. You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed.No errata are currently published