- Full Description
Pro Python System Administration, Second Edition explains and shows how to apply Python scripting in practice. It will show you how to approach and resolve real-world issues that most system administrators will come across in their careers. This book has been updated using Python 2.7 and Python 3 where appropriate. It also uses various new and relevant open source projects and tools that should now be used in practice.
In this updated edition, you will find several projects in the categories of network administration, web server administration, and monitoring and database management. In each project, the author will define the problem, design the solution, and go through the more interesting implementation steps. Each project is accompanied by the source code of a fully working prototype, which you’ll be able to use immediately or adapt to your requirements and environment.
This book is primarily aimed at experienced system administrators whose day-to-day tasks involve looking after and managing small-to-medium-sized server estates. It will also be beneficial for system administrators who want to learn more about automation and want to apply their Python knowledge to solve various system administration problems. Python developers will also benefit from reading this book, especially if they are involved in developing automation and management tools.
What youll learn
- Solve real-world system administration problems using Python
- Manage devices with SNMP and SOAP
- Build a distributed monitoring system
- Manage web applications and parse complex log files
- Monitor and manage MySQL databases automatically
Who this book is for
This book assumes that readers already use Python and are comfortable with the language. The basic knowledge of installing packages on various operating systems is discussed.
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents1. Reading and Collecting Performance Data Using SNMP
2. Managing Devices Using SOAP API
3. Creating a Web Application for IP Address Accountancy
4. Integrating the IP Address Application with DHCP
5. Maintaining a List of Virtual Hosts in an Apache Configuration File
6. Gathering and Presenting Statistical Data from Apache Log Files
7. Performing Complex Searches and Reporting on Application Log Files
8. A Web Site Availability Check Script for Nagios
9. Management and Monitoring Subsystem
10. Remote Monitoring Agents
11. Statistics Gathering and Reporting
12. Distributed Message Processing System
13. Automatic MySQL Database Performance Tuning
14. Using Amazon EC2/S3 as a Data Warehouse Solution
- Source Code/Downloads
If you think that you've found an error in this book, please let us know by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org . You will find any confirmed erratum below, so you can check if your concern has already been addressed. No errata are currently published