- Full Description
Practical Ruby Gems is a comprehensive guide to utilizing and creating Ruby Gemsready-made Ruby code modules that can be easily added to Ruby and Rails projects. This book is ideal for Ruby programmers as well as web developers who use Rails and wish to extend the functionality of their projects.
You'll get a prime selection of 34 of the best and most useful Gems, which makes up the core of this book. Each of these also comes complete with actual use cases and code examples that you can use immediately in your own projects.
What youll learn
- Validate credit cards.
- Create graphical interfaces on multiple platforms.
- Speed up Rails applications.
- Develop lightweight web applications.
- Use ActiveRecord to make databases easy.
- Process RSS feeds.
- Prevent spam using CAPTCHA.
- Crop and scale images.
- Tap into the same caching system that runs LiveJournal.com.
You'll also learn how to package and distribute your own Ruby Gems. This lets you tap into powerful mechanisms for resolving dependencies. And the book takes a detailed look at how Gems differ between operating systems, so youll be prepared whether your desktop runs OS X, Windows, or Linux. Youll also learn how you can share code more easily between projects, optionally sharing your contributions with the world!
- Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- What Is RubyGems?
- Installing RubyGems
- Using RubyGems in Your Code
- Managing Installed Gem Versions
- Data Access with the ActiveRecord Gem
- Easy Text Markup with the BlueCloth Gem
- Creating Web Applications with Camping
- Creating Command-Line Utilities with cmdparse
- HTML Templating with erubis
- Parsing Feeds with feedtools
- Creating Graphical User Interfaces with fxruby
- Retrieving Stock Quotes with YahooFinance
- Parsing HTML with hpricot
- Writing HTML as Ruby with Markaby
- Parsing CSV with fastercsv
- Multiple Dispatch with multi
- Serving Web Applications with mongrel
- Transferring Files Securely with net-sftp
- Executing Commands on Remote Servers with net-ssh
- Validating Credit Cards with creditcard
- Writing PDFs with pdf-writer
- Handling Recurring Events with runt
- Building Websites with Rails
- Automating Development Tasks with rake
- Manipulating Images with RMagick
- Speeding Up Web Applications with memcache-client
- Managing Zip Archives with rubyzip
- Speeding Up Function Calls with memoize
- Tagging MP3 Files with id3lib-ruby
- Shortening URLs with shorturl
- Creating Standalone Ruby Applications with rubyscript2exe
- Cleaning Dirty HTML with tidy
- Parsing XML with xml-simple
- Creating Our Own Gems
- Distributing Gems
- Source Code/Downloads