Rights & Permissions
Review all guidelines to request permission to reuse, reproduce or translate some or all of an Apress publication.
Are you interested in acquiring foreign translation rights for one or more of our titles?
For information about the options for re-use by authors of content from a book they published with us, please see below. If you need more extensive permission for re-use of content published in an Apress title, please email Todd Green.
Authors' Rights to Re-use Content
Can I re-use content from my book?
Authors, Editors, and Contributors of Apress book content have the following re-use rights, without the requirement to seek additional formal permission from us.
Following publication of your book by Apress, you may:
Re-use excerpts or up to one chapter of your material in new works, if the new work is authored or edited by yourself and provided such new works are not of a nature likely to compete with the Apress Work.
If you are not the author or editor of the new work please ask the publisher of the new work to submit a permission request.
You may also:
- Re-use figures, illustrations and tables from the Contribution (provided that these are not 3rd party material, in which case additional permission will need to be sought from the rights-holder) in new works authored or edited by yourself
- Make copies of your work for personal use, including up to one chapter for classroom teaching use (but not for inclusion in course pack material for onward sale by libraries and institutions)
- Make and distribute a reasonable number of copies of your work to selected colleagues for their personal use, but not for commercial or systematic distribution
- Make print or digital copies of your work to append to a Curriculum Vitae in support of applications for new posts
- The author's employer, if the work is made within the scope of the author's employment, may use all or part of the work for other intra-company use (e.g. training)
Such re-use is subject to acknowledgement of the Apress publication in the following form:
[author and/or editor(s) of contribution], [volume and/or contribution title], [year of publication], [publisher (as it appears on our copyright page)] reproduced with permission of Apress.
If you have any doubt about whether your intended re-use is covered by this policy, please contact email@example.com for confirmation.
We are always happy to discuss digital licensing of any of our materials for use in databases, websites, and apps, please contact Welmoed Spahr, Managing Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Have you found suspected piracy or unauthorized copying or distribution of an Apress publication?